· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Pondering a Larger DIY Tank -- Questions

0 Not allowed!
    Now, I will preface this by saying that the tank I'm pondering is probably 2-3 years in the future. But, since I'm a planning sort of person, I like to go ahead and get what info I can :)

The tank I'm contemplating will probably end up being a DIY, since it wouldn't fit traditional dimensions.

Like, I'm contemplating a tank that is very long ... around 15 feet. But not very deep. Around 20 inches. And it would be as wide as it was deep.

So, would a tank of those dimensions be sound? Or would it put a lot of pressure on the seals?

The volume comes out (by my calculations) to around 300 gallons. Which would allow for some interesting fish, I think.

Does a very long yet shallowish tank sound silly?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    as long as
    1. you don;t mind doing the w/c's
    2. have a place with preferably a concrete floor to put it
    3. have proper bracing on top and bottom
    4. budget for water bill lol

you can do most any size you want. IMO start with something more "movable"
    if you make an error it's easier to compensate.
    Paul

Patience..............The World Is Round You"ll get There
    Determination is the unrelenting pursuit of perfection with the knowledge it can never be achieved.
    10g.... partly fake planted (partly not) with Zebras, "The gunpoint" Platy, & Big Boss Gourami, Coryz and Oto the zucchini fiend
    2 Dogs 3 Cats

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The w/c's would be the deciding point for me The power bill as well, considering the lighting and filtration required.

That being said, I'm imagining it being in a finished basement in a house. Where we'd be living at that time we'd get water from a well instead of the city.

Basically, the thought process in my head was of a really long but shallow tank ... even 144 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches ... where I could stock fairly small fish and aquascape it. Little fish fascinate me, and I'd love to see them carve out there own little territories over time.

Doing 144x12x12 would make the volume around 90 gallons, and might be feasible, but I really wanted to make sure wouldn't fail structurally.

0 Not allowed!
    How about saving up for a 75 or 125 gallon standard sized tank and build your own stand. A long shallow tank like the one you're suggesting would be difficult to achieve adequate circulation in. Adequate circulation would not be impossible to achieve, but you may have to add addtional pumps to get there.
    I'd definetly become familiar with sump filtration.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will do :)

I foresee much reading in my future.

This is why I start planning and plotting waaay ahead of time, so that I might find out the gotchas ahead of time.

The other consideration I had (or reason for dreaming this up) is that most of the fish I like are bottom dwelling fish. Most of the tanks I have access to around here (in the Pet Supermarkets, PetSmarts, etc, friends tanks, too) and thus are all I've been exposed to outside of the Atlanta Aquarium exhibits are all high and deep. If you want something more than 10 gallons, you have to go higher/deeper, as opposed to longer. Not a whole lot of longs around here.

If that makes any sense.

Regardless of volume, I'm seeing in my mind's eye a long tank that could accommodate a number of different species who prefer to stay near the bottom. If that's even practically possible.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Definitely sounds like an interesting idea. Personal opinion is that something like that would look great, but adding a small school or two of mid to top dwelling fish might do well with it too.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the É help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    The strain on the seals would be due to the depth of the water. The shallower the tank, the less stress on the seals and glass. Water volume has next to nothing to do with the water pressure, its the depth of the water.

Sounds neat!

If its a DIY are you going to make it with multiple windows or one long peice of glass?

Either way, you will probably have to build it in the basement, and leave it there.

Could get an awesome river setup with a tank that long. A few well placed powerheads should help quite a bit. More floor space with bottom dwellers is not a bad thing at all.

Agree with taurus, a sump would be the way to go, or be ready to buy 15 canisters :)

With DIY tanks, the bigger it is, the more cost effective it will be.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When we move from here, we should be getting a house with a finished basement, so that's the current plan.

I think I will experiment with a much smaller setup first, but with the same ratio of length vs height, to get the aquascaping and rockscaping ideas fleshed out.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMO you really need a ratio of .33 to 1 (h/l) in larger tanks to have good viewing and as suggested proper flow. Remember you need to evenly heat and light. some plant might get taller than your walls and increase maintenance. I believe you will find the majority of small (=/< 2") are going to be mid to top dwellers. That being said their natural is mid to top in 3-4' so they might inhabit 18" of their natural habitat.
    Paul

Patience..............The World Is Round You"ll get There
    Determination is the unrelenting pursuit of perfection with the knowledge it can never be achieved.
    10g.... partly fake planted (partly not) with Zebras, "The gunpoint" Platy, & Big Boss Gourami, Coryz and Oto the zucchini fiend
    2 Dogs 3 Cats

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The strain on the joints will be fine. It's the bending of long peices of glass to think about. You will need cross bracing every 2x depth. For example if you had a 12" deep, 12" width tank you need a cross brace every 24" just to stop the glass from bowing too much. The other thing to think of is who makes glass that long in one piece?

Weedwacker