· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is looking very nice. A year from now, that will be a forest.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, wsky. I'm hesitant to set up the quarantine tank because last time it was out I lost my 4 year old goldfish and dojos in it... I did everything by the book (1-2 x daily water changes and medication) and to no avail... But it probably is the 'right' thing to do. I'm just still sore about it.

Marley looks better today - less redness, but the same or a little more fraying. If either the redness or melting gets even slightly worse by tomorrow, I'll pull out the 10 and plop him in. I use qt as last resort, because I think the stress of moving them into a new tank with no other fish and not much in the way of hiding places makes recovery worse than it would be in the main tank. The second I see a second fish with the same symptoms, though, they both go into the qt and the main tank gets a serious water change to minimize contagions.

Thanks Lady. I hope it will, but I'll be moving in November, so with that setback, I'm not holding my breath :) Although, I may be setting up a large tank/plant light at the new place, so that would mean a leg up for the plants.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also, tank tests well now at 0,0,40<-- bit high, but should come down as plants take off.

The pH read 7.8, which is in the platy range, but a little higher than I'd like. Again, as things take off I think this will take care of itself. The water from my tap tests at 8.2, so I think the tank is already bringing it down somewhat.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would do at least a 50% WC to bring the Nitrates down. Maybe even multiple ones of that size.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ldoerr
    I would do at least a 50% WC to bring the Nitrates down. Maybe even multiple ones of that size.
    No offense, but this is completely unnecessary. 40ppm is not at all dangerous for the fish, and the plants will love the availability of nitrogen.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry I did not realize that 40ppm was acceptable. I have always understood that you should keep it at 20 and below. My bad.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

0 Not allowed!
    That's not a bad practice at all, but when dealing with live plants, the nitrates will be beneficial for the plants and thus do not need to be removed via a water change.

Cassiopea, are you planning any floating plants in that tank?
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is some stray penny wort in there now, and a few tiny strands of hornwort left from what my apple snail didn't mow down. They're not taking off the way I had hoped, but the tank is still sorting itself out, I think.

I've noticed a bit more hair algae than I'd like in there, but that cropped up after I did a ~10 gallon water change I was forced into when siphoning out water for the hospital tank. I'll have to test the water again to see where we're at and decide whether to dose with something, or cave and make up a CO2 bottle, or change the light timing.

And Marley did pass away. He was doing much better for a couple of days in the 10 gallon on his own with Maracyn Two, but was gone when I went to check on him this morning.

0 Not allowed!
    how long do you leave the lights on? Also, how much and what kind of light do you have?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 65 watt Coralife CFL. It's on about 12 hours a day, for now.

Scratch the concern about that hair algea/diatom... I got my otos today and they LOVE it. At this rate, it should be cleared up in a couple of days.

"What!? She brought them home today and they're IN the tank!?" Yes, my friends. Not to worry... too much. They are from my local mom and pop shop, and came from the same bank of tanks that all my other fish came from. The original platies that I put in, I am willing to take the risk with. Yes, it is a risk, I know.

I also brought home some danios, which I've always wanted to keep, and stocked up the lady platies' number to 7. I threw in a couple shrimp to see how they'd do before I get a raft of them, and the store's getting in their pearl gouramis on Friday!