· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 29 gal do-over: dirt

0 Not allowed!
    I lost my goldies to ich a while back, and have had the tank sitting with only plants in it for some time. I've been on and off about starting it up again, and have decided to try a soil sublayer in my tank.

I used a generic organic potting soil, and mixed in a few handfuls of Ecocomplete. Not sure why, it just felt right. I then mixed them together with a little water to make it consistently wet, but still formable. I spread this layer out about 1.5 inch thick. I then put my Ecocomplete cap on, about the same thickness.

I planted my plants into the substrate before adding any water. I have water sprite, amazon swords, a couple of crypts, two stems of bacopa, nana petite, java ferns, and a moss ball - pretty standard fare. (What the goldfish didn't demolish completely.)

Then I filled the tank carefully with dechlorinated water, and to my astonishment - the water stayed relatively clear.

Pictures attached! Since everyone loves pictures :)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cassiopea; 10-04-2011 at 06:12 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I decided to put my platys in there for now - 2 boys and 4 girls. They are already exploring, eating and doing normal platy things. After the initial "hey!? where am I!?" they settled right in!

Next is to test the water in the morning, and if all goes well, to decide on eventual stocking.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is lookin great!

4. Thumbs up Nice!

0 Not allowed!
    I love seeing a tank "come to life."

Very nice arrangement! You're absolutely right about it....

Dragoon Woman
    46 bowfront: Planted, Angelfish, Rasboras, Cories, Tetras, Otos
    25g: Planted, cherry shrimp, otos
    5g: Planted, Betta
    4g: Planted, betta
    5 horses, 7 cats, all rescued animals

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    Very nicely done, the tank looks great.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love the look of your platys. Mine are fairly dull by platy standards. Tank looks great.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, guys. More pics to come - school is kicking my butt right now, and I've come down with a cold (hooray!). For now I'm keeping my eye on the potting soil that I can see through the glass - I can tell that there is gas trapped in it. Is that right?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It will slowly dissolve into the water column. My sister's tank did the same thing and then when the plants start absorbing nutrients it'll go away with time. Stick with it, no worries.
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

9. Unhappy

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, DH!

Here are some more pics... really bad glare (sun + cell phone = not good pictures...)

One of my two males, Marley, has some fin issues starting up. I noticed a little redness just at the tip of his tail fin, and then it started to get worse, and his tail's a tiny bit ragged now. The other male, Bob, is a huuuuuuuge dink and is very mean to all of the other fish. I'm wondering if he's not nipping fins, since it's only the other male's tail that's showing symptoms.

I now have to decide what to do. I can think of three options: remove Marley, or remove Bob, or add more plants and hiding spots to increase the perceived territory and provide escapes. Besides that, would adding more fish help, or make this worse?

They used to be buddies and swim together all the time (Bob and Marley, I mean), I'm now wondering if this was actually them scoping each other out and playing fishy chicken?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it were me an I could q/t the one with fin issues that's what I would do first. It may be something different than just bullying. I know all my platys get along great, an I also have a 3:1 ratio which i dunno if that's got anything to do with it. He may just be the type that wants to be the alpha male.