· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

Default Best kind of ferts for attached rhizome plants?

0 Not allowed!
    Since my anubias aren't planted in the substrate but are attached to objects in the tank and most of their roots are above the gravel with only one or two actually resting on it (not in it), it would seem that root tabs wouldn't reach them to feed the plants. If I were to lightly fert my nubes, what would be the best kind to use and how would I administer it? I read here that Excel can kill fish and possibly shrimp, so that one isn't an option for me.

I'm thinking of something I could use sparingly that won't alter the pH of the water.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a bottom feeder for the new tank! - Rue   Hang in there! - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I have the same question that i was about to post since my tank is mostly anubias attached to driftwood but you beat me to it. Until someone with experience with different brands of ferts and things i was thinking of getting seachem flourish and seachem flourish iron.
    110g All Male Peacock/Hap Tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because you needed a comfort fish... :-) Cheer up. Things will get better soon. - lotus flower   For your studies :D - CassieLEO   Have a bunny!  Be cautious if you get another  ;-) - 850R   850R said you need another bunny. - gadget228   Awww.. Your bunnies are now parents :-) - 850R   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Fisharefriends27   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Fisharefriends27   

0 Not allowed!
    I would say for the most part they don't need ferts. If you want to get some still go with flourish excel and start from a low dosing amount and increase if you see any deficiencies. Kinda creeping up until you find the tanks balance point. It worked for my 29(with different ferts though) until I got co2 and now everything still out of wack. Lol.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    The harley man......no not the motorcycle, harlequin rasboras
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    I know nubes generally don't need any, but I have a couple that look like they might benefit from the boost. My oldest one, that is, the first nube nana I got, has one leaf that is turning a yellowish-green when it used to be a true green. I think I read somewhere that yellowing leaves indicate a lack of sufficient nutrients.

I have another that I recently purchased where several of its leaves have separated from the rhizome at the base of their stems. Either something is eating those leaves off, or they're rotting off. I notice that rhizome is dark brown and not green like the other rhizomes, so it could be the whole plant is dying, and may have been when I purchased it. Can the rhizomes normally be either green or brown, or is this a sign of trouble?

The rest of my nubes are fine.

Would Flourish Excel alter the pH if used sparingly in very small doses and not too frequently? Also, could it kill fish and shrimp. I think one member here related her experience that Excel killed her fish.

I don't plan to do any CO2, as I don't have any plants that need it.

While my java ferns are all healthy, they could probably benefit from small doses of ferts, also.

Anyone else use ferts on their Anubias? What do you use besides Excel?

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Fishhook   A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228   Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    I just use the regular Flourish complete liquid fert.(Not the Excel) My anubias that i originally bought attached to a log has extremely long (3-4")and abundant roots and I've split the plant once already.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    any sort of liquid fert will do just fine,just not alot as anubia are not very hungry normally.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the link, Taurus. I saved the page in my favorites menu.

I'll try to find the Flourish complete liquid fertilizer. I know my LFS sells the Excel, but didn't know there was the other. If I can't find it there, maybe F&S or Pet Solutions will have it.

Thanks, folks.

By the way, from what I described, do you think that nube that's losing its leaves is being attacked by something in the tank, or is the rhizome dying and the leaves rotting off at their stem bases? What color should a healthy nube rhizome always be? Or can it vary, and it doesn't mean anything? This one is a deep chocolate brown, but the rhizomes on my other nubes are green or at least greenish.

-- mermaid

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    They should be a dark healthy green.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Fishhook   A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228   Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Mine are both very dark green, with new leaf and root growth more yellow-green and then darkening up as they unfold.