· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here ya go! - Agassizii   No Message - robflanker   No Message - Tetris   dude, you need to chill - Lab_Rat   just cause - Twe3k   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pele   

Exclamation When all of the sudden, Baby Rams

0 Not allowed!
    So about two weeks ago my brother went off to college, leaving behind to me a well established 20 gallon tank. Being the fish addict that I am, I immediatly set to work planning what would go in there. I soon settled on getting a pair of GBR from my LFS. Brought them home, all is well. When two weeks later, no planning or attempts by me, the fish breed, and now I have abatch of about 30 fry in a school in the corner of my aquarium.
    Normally I would be happy about this, except I have no idea, what I'm supposed to do now. I feel like one of those teen dads, do I need to get special food? Do anything important? Should I keep them? Please help
    Have you had your daily dosage of Pele?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJLII...ature=youtu.be
    ^Shaving is hard^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the fry. You can get frozen baby brine shrimp and Hikari First Bites to feed them. You can also feed very finely crushed flake. If the tank is well established, they ought to be able to graze on the biofilm as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I have had great success with the frozen foods like the Hakari BBS mixed with just pure flakes crushed finger fine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    If you have a hang on back filter on that 20 gallon, get a sponge filter to put over the in-take tube so the little ones wont be sucked up.

There are all kinds of baby cichlid foods out there so that shouldn't be a problem.

The parents shouldn't be a problem with the fry being they are cichlids but once the little ones start getting larger you may have to expand your tanks. A 20 gallon is about maxed out for a pair of rams.

By the way, congratulations!!!
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here ya go! - Agassizii   No Message - robflanker   No Message - Tetris   dude, you need to chill - Lab_Rat   just cause - Twe3k   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Pele   

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, it seems like the parents are eating the babies. They used to be taking them into their moth and spitting them out in a corner, now though theyre not spitting them out, and I am much lower on babies it looks like. What do?
    Have you had your daily dosage of Pele?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJLII...ature=youtu.be
    ^Shaving is hard^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    Ouch. Do you have a tank divider? or another established tank to transfer the fry?

Sorry to hear the parents are being that way. Maybe a bit of food will distract the parents or can you add something (moss, plants, or wool) to the tank so the fry have a hiding place.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    Just leave the parents be unless you're set on raising fry. Sometimes it takes them several batches to get it right. Sometimes they never get it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Pele! Teen dad! LOLOL That was so cute.

I agree to just leave them.

I have put flake food on a paper towel and smashed them up with a rolling pin. You can get it almost to a powder, even finer that First Bites for fry.