· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: mp 40 question

Default mp 40 question

0 Not allowed!
    With LED's out of the way, we are saving up for our next investment on the reef, 1 or 2 mp40's. I'm sick of looking at the 7 koralia powerheads in the tank, lol.

I just had 1 question

We want to eliminate all of the koralias if possible, so should we get 2 mp40's for our 75 gallon, or will 1 provide enough flow. Its 95% sps so great flow is a must. Thank you for any input

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    You will need 2. The way the Vortecs produce flow, they don't send the flow as far, but they do move a lot of water. If I was going to sped (IMO waste) the money on MP40s, I would do 1 at each end of the tank.

7 Koralias??? A little overkill isn't it? I had 3 Koralia 3's in my 75 that was also SPS dominated and it was way more than enough.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    General consensus is that you would need two MP40s for your tank. I'm planning on picking one up after the new year, but I'll be using only one in an sps dominant tank. The reason why I'm only using one - the cost!!! The MP40 offers a lot of neat features with water movement, but they are still ridiculously high for me to invest in. A lot of stuff gets traded around in my local reef club so that's what I'm banking on. You may be able to get away with using only one depending upon the placement and needs of specific corals. I know someone who has only one MP40 on a 210g tank, but the vast majority of his sps are on one side of the tank. Best of luck, I don't know anyone who has owned an Vortec who has regretted the purchase - but there's a first for everything, lol.
    220g South American
    90g Reef
    20g Reef
    20g Reef

0 Not allowed!
    The 7 koralia's are not enough, lol. We've tried different positions and placements and just can't get the flow we want. One problem we are running into is some the sps colonies are getting so large they are blocking flow to their inner portions as well as other sps colonies.

Looks like we will get 2 mp40's. I've always wanted one since we started the hobby and am always impressed seeing them in action in others tanks. Most people locally with sps tanks notice a great improvement when adding a mp40 or 2, especially when using the reef crest mode. If its too much flow we can always turn them down. I have a large Christmas bonus coming in a few months, a birthday next week and we are also selling all our old metal halide stuff so we will be able to buy them.

Lately we have been planning ahead for when we get a house and a much larger tank. We are slowly upgrading our equipment so it will work in our current tank as well as a much larger tank. Sorta spreading the cost out over a few years. So far we have enough lighting for a 6 foot tank, and calcium reactor rated for 300 gallons and soon the 2 mp40's. By the time we are ready for an upgrade we hope all we will need to buy is the larger tank and sump, a skimmer, and a return pump.

Just curious ILMGB, why do you think the mp40's are a waste?

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    1 MP40 = $465 and over the life of my aquarium, I probably wouldn't make up the difference in energy consumption between that and the Koralia's. Sure, if you are trying to micromanage the settings in your tank then they are good. However, when I can look at a 75gal 100% SPS reef tank and see it absolutely thriving with just 2-3 Koralias that had a total cost of around $100-$125 then $930 dollars worth of powerheads just for a little added control is something that I personally can't justify. I'm fully aware of all their "benefits" and their capabilities, and as far as I'm concerned, the added control isn't worth that much money. I can buy some really nice corals or some really nice fish for all the money I'd save by purchasing Koralia powerheads over Vortecs. Their fine for those that have the money to burn, but IMO, a total waste for others.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Out of curiousity what model of koralia's were you using?
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

0 Not allowed!
    We have 4 k2's, 2 evo 750's, and a k1. We merged 2 29 gallons when we set this up and I used all the equipment from that, plus added a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyGoldBarb
    1 MP40 = $465 and over the life of my aquarium, I probably wouldn't make up the difference in energy consumption between that and the Koralia's. Sure, if you are trying to micromanage the settings in your tank then they are good. However, when I can look at a 75gal 100% SPS reef tank and see it absolutely thriving with just 2-3 Koralias that had a total cost of around $100-$125 then $930 dollars worth of powerheads just for a little added control is something that I personally can't justify. I'm fully aware of all their "benefits" and their capabilities, and as far as I'm concerned, the added control isn't worth that much money. I can buy some really nice corals or some really nice fish for all the money I'd save by purchasing Koralia powerheads over Vortecs. Their fine for those that have the money to burn, but IMO, a total waste for others.

I know what you mean about the cost, its what kept me from getting them so far, but IMO their worth every penny ( I can actually get them under $400 each). I've been slowing saving up for them since setting up the 75 gallon. I do like all the settings. We have a wavemaker now for the evo 750's and its ok, but limited.

Their slim design is the biggest thing that drew us to them. I thought about adding a few larger koralias instead of what we have now, but the larger koralias are just too bulky for me. The k2's we have now are starting to block light to some things as they start to grow. With the mp40's you can look into the tank and hardly see them, but with koralias, even just 2 or 3 of the larger ones, they stick out like sore thumbs, lol

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by labnjab
    We have a wavemaker now for the evo 750's and its ok, but limited.
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but, Lab, do your Evos make clicking sounds when they start back up? I recently picked up a JBJ Ocean Pulse wavemaker and both my Evo 750s and Evo 1400s make loud clicking sounds when they power back up. I've read that it's not good for the pump...ugh...
    220g South American
    90g Reef
    20g Reef
    20g Reef

0 Not allowed!
    The click every now and then, but a good majority of the time they are quiet. I think the older evo's had a problem with the bushings which made them click and sometimes start in reverse, but I think they sell new and improved bushings for them.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish