· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yellow hornwort

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    I tried hornwort from the lfs a couple times, never could keep it alive. Some years ago I received a shipment of dwarf crayfish bagged with some small bits of hornwort to cling to in transit. The crayfish died off w/out successfully breeding, but the hornwort is still growing like a weed. It very solidly fills the upper half of my 33 long, and has been grown under a regular FL shop light with 1 6700k and 1 10,000k bulb the whole time.
    I also have Najas indica in several tanks. It actually grows faster though not as thick/dense as the hornwort.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfish
    i also failed to mention that i have the light on, which is a t8 18inch 8k bulb, on around 4 hours a day, is that sufficient lighting?
    I have the same bulb (only 24 inches) and I used to run mine for 12 hours a day but my algae got bad so I scaled back to 8 hours a day and my plants are fine.

I have had success with Rotala Indinca with this lamp as well as amazon swords. I do want to get a 6500k bulb but for now it is doing fine
    29g fresh planted community 1 Thick Lipped Sunset Gourami, 5 pristella x-ray tetras, 6 neon tetras and 3 platies with amazon sword and rotala indinca
    2.5g Betta tank with 1 male
    10 Gallon QT tank 3 MM Platy

0 Not allowed!
    I have the lights of both my tanks on timers, now. Prior to daylight saving time, both lights came on at 7:55 A.M and went off at 6:50 P.M. Since we had to set our clocks an hour ahead on March 11, the on and off is 8:55 A.M. and 7:50 P.M. The timer doesn't know the difference, only the clocks read differently.

I use all-purpose Flourish in my tanks, and I only put it in after water changes.

My hornwort has grown extensively in the 65, and somewhat in the 20. I suspect it's getting eaten in the smaller tank.

In my 20, my java moss has gone to town, bigtime. The small clump I started with is four times its original size and a deep dark green.

I would suggest you leave your light on much, much longer than four hours. Try 12 to 14 hours. See if that makes a difference. I'll bet it does...

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.