· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default API Tap Water Filter

0 Not allowed!
    I bought one of these as a last resort in figuring out why I was losing fish thinking there was something in my well water. It is easy to use, but very time consuming - it takes 30 minutes to DI 5 gallons of water. So I used 10 gallons of the DI water to do a water change today. No ill effects, which is good, but I was hoping it would maybe drop my ph a little (it's 8) but no dice.

Set up my new 37 gallon tank and did the entire tank with the DI water. As far as the filter usage, the cartridge is about a third changed and that was after doing 45 gallons, so I guess my water isn't as bad as I thought. And for the heck of it I tested the ph - it's 6! What the heck? I used the ph adjuster that came with the filter, but it obviously didn't do anything. So I added some of the Easy Balance Plus hoping it would bring up the ph - I'll check it in the morning.

I'd like to do a fish cycle using some of my gravel and media from my other tank that's cycled, but I'm afraid to with the ph being so low, I'm afraid it'll spike in a couple of days, so I"ll just let the tank run for a week or so.

Any ideas on why the ph came out so low with the DI water? If it doesn't come up, should I take some out and add plain tap water to bring it back up? Thanks!
    Fish are friends - not food!
    Just keep swimming - just keep swimming!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Actually it's probably a little less than 6 using di water. You will need to use an additive to restore minerals and balance the GH.

When i had rock hard city water, i used 30% ro/di water and 70% city water to give me a ph of 7.8 for my freshwater planted tanks. Try mixing a small portion of the 2 together, test the water and see what your ph level is. I would start with 1 cup of each, and adjust by adding more water until you figure out the right combination that you are trying to achieve. If it is still too low, add more of your well water, if it's still too high, add more di water. By combining the 2 you will not have to use an additive to restore minerals and balance the GH.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    dlady - brilliant! Will do!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    You are going to tire very quickly of using that device. The filter life is horrible and the filters are expensive. If you have a local supermarket that has a rodi vending machine that would be a cheaper alternative. Use it as amix with your well water to add some buffering and minerals to it and you are all set.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the unit was $42 and the cartridges are $20 and I've already gotten 45 gallons out of this one and it's only a third used, so I'm looking at the high end of their estimate of 50 to 150 gallons per cartridge. My lfs is 40 minutes away and they get $.75 per gallon for their RO water - which for 150 gallons would be $112.50. So I figure I'm 70 bucks to the good!

Besides, even if it cost the same, I like not having to haul those heavy 5 gallon water containers around.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    75c a gal! That's highway robbery. The stuff I was using for my sw tank was 25c a gallon.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Highway robbery indeed!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's your first algae! - Lady Hobbs   more fishies - Lady Hobbs   needs a friend - Lady Hobbs   Wait... you have THAT 210 and no discus gifts yet???   :) - harpua2002   No Message - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I got one of those and even with really crap water the filter life was pretty darn good(70g per cartridge) I have upgraded to a us water 100gpd RO unit since the DI unit didnt do much with the Ph, I went from a 7.6 to a 5.8 with the RO with no extra chemicals, Ive been doing this for over a year but moved recently and had to wait to afford to switch out my old galvanized water pipes to copper.

What decor are you using in the tank? I use malaysian and mopani woods and maybe that is the buffer I need to be as successful as the tank is running just fine.

Ive personally never seen a spike when using this water filter and the wood in the tank, infact the day I brought home a new pair of GBR's they put eggs down in the QT tank. If you acclimate the fish slowly to the new water(drip) they will be just fine, but again I highly doubt you will see a spike just keep an eye on it and the fish.(done this with discus with no issues at all, LFS's use tap around here and thats 8.6 when we are lucky)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Whitedevil - thanks for the reply! I just added malaysian driftwood to both tanks with that in mind, but it hasn't dented the ph in my 26 that's cycled. And even after adding the 10 gallons of the DI water, it didn't come down either. *confused* I'll try again this weekend with another pwc.

So I'm thinking as long as I replace some of the DI water in my new tank with well water after determining how much I need to bring the ph up to acceptable, it should stay there? That's good to know! Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's your first algae! - Lady Hobbs   more fishies - Lady Hobbs   needs a friend - Lady Hobbs   Wait... you have THAT 210 and no discus gifts yet???   :) - harpua2002   No Message - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I keep my waters acidic for prevention of illnesses. 6 isnt a bad Ph

you can use an alkaline buffer and equilbrium from seachem to help maybe some acid buffer too to balance it out.

what fish are you keeping in this tank/water ?

I keep acidic water fish so with my fish its easy to do this with. Infact a week ago my rams were in rain water, now they are in pure RO water and about 50x more active then they were last week. Some fish benefit from the low Ph waters, some cant survive in it.

a piece of Dw might not help, Ive got over 70 pounds of it in my tank, only 4 pieces but they are big and dense, all tannins are long gone too(scalding hot bath tub of water gets the tannins out fast.