· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Best fish for indoor set-up?

0 Not allowed!
    Not into raising fish for food so I am thinking tropicals.

Really like the look of African Cichlids but the pH requirements seem to be opposite of plants. South American Cichlids look bigger that I want to handle.

They are expensive but would Jewel Cichlids and/or Pelvicachromis pulcher (Kribs) be a better choice for slightly acidic water that the plants will like? Will they tolerate my hard municipal water?

Or am I over thinking the pH requirements and just run it at 7.0 like everyone else?

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    The first question you should ask is what size tank you will have. Can't really start thinking about fish until you have that part figured out. Is this going to be a 10 gallon tank on your desk, or a 240 gallon tank taking up half a wall in your living room?
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    South American would tear your plants up anyway as they love to dig. Rams, kribs or aposto's may be a good choice for you. We recently did a poll here and most of us have 7.6 pH. Same as I've had since I got into the hobby. As Brhino says......tank size???

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I think you are over thinking your ph. Unless you buy wild caught fish, the fish you get will already be in the same ph as you have in your tap water.

It's fine to think what fish you want before you have the tank. Then you buy a tank big enough to house the fish you want.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was given a very nice 24" bow front with stand (28 gallons?). Or I also have a little larger 3 foot tank that I could use as well. I will also have a 5 gallon sump to ensure the tank level doesn't drop when flooding the plants.

Greg

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    South American would tear your plants up anyway as they love to dig. Rams, kribs or aposto's may be a good choice for you. We recently did a poll here and most of us have 7.6 pH. Same as I've had since I got into the hobby. As Brhino says......tank size???

The fish will be in a nice display tank while the plants will be in seperate grow beds (acting as bio-filters) so I'm not worried about plants eaters or diggers. Algae eaters would be nice to keep tank maintenance down.

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like you may want to read into dwarf cichlids, like rams, apistos, kribs, etc. It's a good tank size for them and IIRC they're okay with plants.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Does your pH poll data reflect a desired 7.6 or just where the systems end up without adjusting? Are most of the systems used stictly as bio-filters or are people trying to produce plant crops as well?

From other aquaponic reading I have heard that tilapia or other native fish in larger systems were kept at 6.8 to 7.2 as a compromise between the fish and the plants. I suppose this is because they want to sell or eat both the fish and the plants.

Thanks!
    Greg

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Most of us here are a lot more fish-focused than plant-focused, so we tend to worry about what the fish need first. I have a planted aquarium that fed by my normal pH 7.8 tap water. I have never worried about messing with my pH for either my fish or my plants. I've never looked up pH tolerance for a plant to see if it would be suitable for my tank, either. From my perspective, plants can handle a range of pHs, but as I say it's not something I've really looked into.

What is your primary goal with this setup? Are you circulating water between this 28 gallon tank and your plant grow beds? Are you doing this so fish waste will fertilize the plants, or are you just interested in having a display tank of fish?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brhino
    Most of us here are a lot more fish-focused than plant-focused, so we tend to worry about what the fish need first. I have a planted aquarium that fed by my normal pH 7.8 tap water. I have never worried about messing with my pH for either my fish or my plants. I've never looked up pH tolerance for a plant to see if it would be suitable for my tank, either. From my perspective, plants can handle a range of pHs, but as I say it's not something I've really looked into.

What is your primary goal with this setup? Are you circulating water between this 28 gallon tank and your plant grow beds? Are you doing this so fish waste will fertilize the plants, or are you just interested in having a display tank of fish?
    Primary goal is fertilization and watering of a few bonsai trees. Water will continuously circulate to sump from fish tank. Periodic pumping from sump to grow beds. Fish as an added bonus to my bonsai plants.