· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Under gravel pump/filter

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, i am asking for assistance in verifying what equipment i will need for a under the gravel pump/filter. Please excuse my ignorance in the terminalology regarding aquariums.

I have a 30 gallon set-up that we used to use for hermit crabs but long story short we have cleaned it and are going to start up for freshwater fish. I am looking at the components for what i need and here is what i have compiled on my to buy list:

Aqua clear multifunctional water pump (for up to 50 gallons)
    Top Fin uplift tube
    Topfin Undergravel filter

What other components do i need? I know i am missing some stuff but i wanted to verify with some knowledgable people what exactly i need. Thanks in advance for your response!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's your first algae! - Lady Hobbs   more fishies - Lady Hobbs   needs a friend - Lady Hobbs   Wait... you have THAT 210 and no discus gifts yet???   :) - harpua2002   No Message - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I would pass on a UGF plate system unless you use reverse flow power heads and or other filters. I run one on my planted 75 in reverse and I am having no issues at all.

As a sole filter its primitive at best, yes they work, no they dont work well.

I would use two pumps, marineland makes a powerhead called the 660R, I would look into those or the reverse flow kits are only 8 bucks. Run a aquaclear 50 HOB and reverse the flow on the UGF plate and you should do just fine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    You need nothing but your Aqua Clear.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Let me go ahead and slightly rephrase my question...if one of you guys was going to set up a 30 gallon tank for FW fish what method would you go?

Pump with under gravel filter?
    filter/pump that hangs on the back?
    If i just use the pump then how does it filter/clean the tank?
    -Mantis

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hang on back would be the way to go.
    Aqua Clears are great. Less hassle and maintenance is a breeze compared to an UGF

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the comfort. :) - Mrs.JayMay23   time for new stock? - Lady Hobbs   fishie, fishie in the sea - Lady Hobbs   more fish - Lady Hobbs   smarty-pants! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis212
    Aqua clear multifunctional water pump (for up to 50 gallons)
    Top Fin uplift tube
    Topfin Undergravel filter
    Is the water pump a power head (that hangs off the side or back) or a Hang On the Back (HOB) filter with a box for media?
    If it is a power head, then use the under gravel filter and move on to the next issue. As I recall, TopFin tubes are standard ~1" life tubes. The power head will sit on top of the lift tube and pull through the gravel -which will act as a mechanical filter and as a biological filter- and out the spout. After a couple month period (it takes a while for enough mulm to build up) the recommendations for gravel vacuuming a UG filter bed, is vacuum 1/3 the gravel every two weeks. Water changes every week of course.
    If your tank is a 30L at 36" I'd suggest using an air lift at the other end of the tank, or adding a second power head at some point.

A reverse flow power head with an under gravel filter is a good idea, but you will need a good mount for the power head and a relatively easy to change prefilter assembly.

If your AquaClear is a HOB filter, the under gravel filter is probably not a going to make you popular these days. I used to put the intake of my HOB filters in the uplift tubes and seal the gap with air line tubing. That way I got the benefit of the UG filter and the water circulation of the HOB.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

here's your first algae! - Lady Hobbs   more fishies - Lady Hobbs   needs a friend - Lady Hobbs   Wait... you have THAT 210 and no discus gifts yet???   :) - harpua2002   No Message - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    dbosman, I use 4" tubes for uplift, the reverse kits come with a very 90 degree outlet neck that slips OVER the uplift tube. It sits on there very ridgid. it also comes with a trim ring hanger that uses pressure to hold it on.

also an aquaclear 70's HOB uses a 1" intake tube that slips firmly into an uplift tube for a UGF. a UGF isnt a bad thing its how its used. My last tank was up for 3 years with a RUGF system w/ an aquaclear 70 set up on one end and two 660R's on the other end and under the plate was literally spotless.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the comfort. :) - Mrs.JayMay23   time for new stock? - Lady Hobbs   fishie, fishie in the sea - Lady Hobbs   more fish - Lady Hobbs   smarty-pants! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    I use a UG system on my 75g along with an Eheim canister.
    I also use an HOB pulling through a UG system for shrimp or grow out for plecos.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Its nice to see other people being innovative with the stuff. UGF plates are not ever limited in use.

One thing to add if you do use a UGF, plan on extra gravel to allow root growth if you use live plants with it(never had the root tangle in the plate,ever.)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDevil
    One thing to add if you do use a UGF, plan on extra gravel to allow root growth if you use live plants with it(never had the root tangle in the plate,ever.)

The addition of a mesh material like the stuff found at craft stores works well for this as well.

Nice to see a couple of people here using UGF's and actually posting sensible info about them. Sure beats the old rhetoric and dogma you hear spouted just about everywhere else on the web.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown