· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Java vs Willow Moss

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a difference? My store sold Willow moss to me and called it "same thing pretty much" as Java Moss. Im not a plant person and have never studied either, so i dont know anything with that. Are there any differences in care or anything i should know about Willow Moss? I just pretended it was java and tied it on my castle and gave it some light for a little now while my shrimps enjoy their new home. I hope i can keep everything in here alive and happy as i try to make a shrimp breeder tank.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    There are lots of mosses and lots of confusion at times.
    http://www.aquamoss.net/Moss-List.htm

Here is a site that can help you identify them.
    http://www.aquamoss.net/Willow-Moss/Willow-Moss.htm
    http://www.aquamoss.net/Java-Moss/Java-Moss.htm

Flame moss, tends to grow in a shape that resembles burning flames.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

Willow moss (Fontinalis antipyretica) and Java moss (Vesicularia dubayana) are very similar in appearance, at least to me anyways. From what I can tell (based on what I have read) the biggest difference is that willow moss is native to North America and Java moss is native to Asia.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, this stuf doesnt look like Willow moss... Its a dark greenish brown stringy clump thing that came in a mesh bag because they didnt want it taking over the tank it was kept in i guess.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It looks like java moss. But they called it willow moss. It completely separates from the clump into individual strands without even pulling hard (is that healthy?), so i took a strand and studied the leaves on some of it. They are so tiny i cant even really study them at all. I was wrong above, its green black, not green brown. They are tiny little prickly looking things, but they look very thin, not as broad leafed as the willow moss. It feels like the texture of those clumps of grass you find under your mower. I dont think its java moss though, because it doesnt seem to have any urge to float. When pieces get separated by me they float for a second and then get hit by light current from sponge filter and go find a home somewhere in the gravel. So at this point i have no idea what they sold me...
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    At the moment i have lights off for night but i shined my flashlight in to get a good pic of the castle. Its taken with my phone (i finally charged my batts for camera, but lost the usb cable) and i cant get a clear pic any closer, so im not sure how helpful this will be, but its the best i have for now. Can anything be determined by this picture?
    my moss.jpg
    Click picture for larger image

P.S. The black stringy stuff you see going down front of castle and wrapping around the front tower on your right and tower on left is the black thread i tied it down with. How long will it take to actually attach to my castle so i can remove string?
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    That looks like Java moss from here.

Some will attach to the castle, but generally not well and generally not where you want it to. ;-) All aquatic mosses grow better on mesh. For DIY, I suggest you use some gel type super glue to glue some pony type beads to the castle and some plastic mesh, or polyester thread, cram some moss under the structure and be patient.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So cover that area of the castle with plastic or fabric mesh? I can do that right now! :) I just gotta cut up the mesh bag that it came in... O wait, grandma threw that out. :/ I told her not to throw out anything i get from fish stores at all until at least a week so that if i need to return it or anything i have the stuf. Grrrr. Okay, well, the strings not THAT seeable, is it? Will it eventually hide string and climb it all over like a vine so that at least the string is unseen? Eventually i might go get some plastic mesh i can probably find at Michaels or similar craft store. Is there a specific kind of glue i need, like a specific aquarium safe one, or will a waterproof superglue be fine once completely dry?
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

0 Not allowed!
    Any gel type super glue that you can purchase at a retail store, will be fine.
    Java moss doesn't climb. It gets more massive. One week you look and your have a baseball size clump. A couple of weeks later it's basket ball sized.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok thanks. my shrimp seem to be eating the java moss. Is that ok? SHould i be concerned for the moss's health, or are they just pruning it?
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything