· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Quick Fix for Fluval airlock issue

0 Not allowed!
    I bought two of the Fluval 305 canisters about 3 years ago. One has never been a problem but the second is a bear to prime and I dread filter cleaning time with that filter. I can never get it going after cleaning it.

Which was today. I tried priming slow and priming fast. I tipped the canister to force out air. I tried filling the canister first all the way full and then half way full. I must have taken it apart 5 times, cleaning the impeller, making sure strainer didn't have crude in it and finally tore the hoses off the tank and cleaned them out in my bathtub. (About 100 dead cherry shrimp fell out.)

Get the bloody filter back together and nothing! So I went in search and some guy wrote a post 3 years ago saying to suck on the output hose a couple times. I'm like, "oh yuck". Well, I did it. Two little pulls on that output line and the filter took right off. I didn't suck water or crap out of the line.....but apparently I sucked out an air bubble! (I has quite happy I cleaned the lines today.)

Fortunately, this only happens a few times a year but I sure will remember his advice in the future. Fluvals are dead quiet and filter well but these air locks appear to be a common problem with some of them.

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    Its not just fluvals either. I got a free Renostar from a guy who was having the same issues and said it was broken. I put a dry rag over the end of the hose so I dont have to touch my lips to it, a few good pulls and it works.

Once its primed its fine, no problems when the power goes out or anything. As far as Im concerned it was just a free filter. It wasnt until much later I learned you arent supposed to have to do that.

0 Not allowed!
    If you install valves and disconnects, specifically on the intake side, you can disconnect the canister, clean it, reconnect, open the out flow, then the intake and the canister will fill right up.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    (About 100 dead cherry shrimp fell out.)

I didn't suck water or crap out of the line.....but apparently I sucked out an air bubble! (I has quite happy I cleaned the lines today.)

I love shrimp cocktails but not 100 dead ones in a filter hose. Glad you got it going Lady Hobbs and obviously the search function still works. "Three year old post."

My Fluval 205 fires up within seconds after I clean and prime it, thank goodness. But should it stall on me one day in the future I will remember to clean the hoses before taking a pull on the outlet hose.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't pull on it very hard, I'll tell ya that. I was afraid to.

My second Fluval is never a problem that way.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I fill my fluval....tipping and rattling it on the sink until all the air bubbles come out, topping the water as they do. Hook it up and away it goes.

Sucking on a hose aint gonna happen here. 1. i cant get access to them and 2. major nasty!
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Lightbulb Maybe?

0 Not allowed!
    My Cascades have a prime button and all my units prime and fill easily. One way, that I'm guessing here, that could work would be to pour water down the pipe until it is filled (the one you normally would draw air out of - Assuming the canister is full already!) Then reconnect and turn on - I'd think that would get the system running ... maybe?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasse
    I fill my fluval....tipping and rattling it on the sink until all the air bubbles come out, topping the water as they do. Hook it up and away it goes.

Sucking on a hose aint gonna happen here. 1. i cant get access to them and 2. major nasty!
    Tell me about it. I had to take the light off the tank, move my chair to get back there. And I did like one little puff and stopped then one more little puff. Even having my nose that close to the line was not pleasant. I may try my turkey baster next time.

9. Default Here's another tip; if you use a power head

0 Not allowed!
    I have a Eheim 2028 Professional II filter, even though there is a self priming feature, I sometimes have issues getting it to fill after I clean it (could also be due to the fact I have to intake lines - one has a built in skimmer).

Rather then sucking on a hose that's been in the aquarium (fish use that water as their toilet you know) what I do is hold a hose over the intake line of the filter and put the other end over my power head. It not only primes, but gets any air out as well... and there's no nasty after taste!
    "Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back it's still a bit fuzzy"

- Dave Mustaine; Megadeth