· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Bulkhead

1. Default Bulkhead

0 Not allowed!
    I am planning on making a DIY bulkhead using male and female threaded adapters and a rubber gasket.

Where should the gasket be placed? Inside the tank or outside? Or both sides?

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have read, on the inside of the tank. But I have always got a extra gasket so I would have one on both sides.

I'd like to see some pics of how you are going to do this

I had thought about trying something like this once when I had to wait for the bulk-head flange that I had ordered.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the É help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Always seal from the inside. Having it on the outside serves no purpose as far as sealing the tank goes, it just might make it a bit easier to crank down, or harder if is starts catching on the gasket. The inside portion of the bulkhead and the gasket seal it it off. If it leaks through that it will just leak through the threads on the back side, the back gasket wont come into play.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by alrightyroo
    I am planning on making a DIY bulkhead using male and female threaded adapters and a rubber gasket.
    Where should the gasket be placed? Inside the tank or outside? Or both sides?
    What adapter pieces are you using?
    All the PVC piping I've found locally is tapered pipe thread and I can't torque them down tight enough to make a seal, even with a gasket.

0 Not allowed!
    I've heard of people using a threaded nipple and two threaded flanges.

I never seen it tho so I don't know how well it actually worked.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman
    What adapter pieces are you using?
    All the PVC piping I've found locally is tapered pipe thread and I can't torque them down tight enough to make a seal, even with a gasket.

I will be making something like this.

I will be using whatever pvc fittings I can find that are not tapered.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the É help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    The problem with that is going to be locating a male bushing that has enough thread to go through the glass and still have enough leftover to get a good grip on the outside. Smaller tanks that are under 1/2" thick should be fine, but it might get iffy when you get into thicker glass. You have to consider the thickness of the gasket as well.

I'll swing by a hardware store this evening and take a look at some things (I'm going to need to get some bulkheads pretty soon myself) Looks like it might have potential if you can find the right parts.

The other problem I see is the bushing doesn't have that large of a lip. So the gasket had better be pretty darn close to the width of the bushing on the ID. You notice how the normal bulkheads have really wide lips right past the threaded area? I could see that complicating things as well.
    Last edited by Scrup; 09-28-2011 at 09:45 PM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glass thickness wont be a problem since mine is under 1/2". I think I have spotted some bushings here in my local hardware store(I'm not from the US or UK by the way)that have a wide lip that in the link I posted.

Would it be better to have gaskets on both sides as long as the thread of the male bushing is ling enough to get a good grip on the female?

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    IMO it doesn't matter. You just need the gasket on the inside. If you want one on the outside, go for it. It doesn't serve any purpose, but it doesn't hurt either.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the pictures. I have seen those types of fittings in Michigan, USA, but only in 1.5" and larger.

Good luck.