· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Filter plumbing question

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I recently moved and I'm trying to plan how I'm going to set up my 90 gallon aquarium. I will be starting it from scratch. I am going to have it set up in my (finished) basement. It is going to be a planted, tropical community tank. I plan on using CO2 injection this time. Now here's where the questions come in...

I would like to plumb the filter (Eheim 2028 Professional II) through the wall (using PVC pipe and fittings) from the storage side of the basement (insulated) to the finished side. I was wondering what size pipe I should use. I was thinking about using , because I will be plumbing the Co2 through a house water filter housing (as the reactor) through the wall and into the aquarium. Im trying to set it up so everything is out of sight.

Im also new to using CO2 for the planed aquarium.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    "Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back it's still a bit fuzzy"

- Dave Mustaine; Megadeth

0 Not allowed!
    I would suggest your standard thinkness of PVC (the white colored fittings).

I'm not to farmilur with Eheim filters, but you will need to make sure that the size of the PVC used is at least the same as the tubes that come with the filter.

On the PVC return line from the filter, you could even put in a "T" fitting and use reducing bushings to the size of you CO2 line. Thay way you can have your CO2 mixed into the water your return line. I'm actually looking into doing something similar for my tank right now

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default Here's the co2 set up I'm thinking about...

0 Not allowed!
    What I was thinking about doing is to go with a set up like this [see below] and feel free to give any advice here, as co2 is going to be a completely new experience for me:

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Produc...Show=TechSpecs

I would extend the PVC from the reactor through the wall and to the aquarium (using what ever adapters, reducers and shutoffs I need). I believe the input/output lines on the filter have an inner diameter of 1/2" (or metric equivalent), so I was thinking about using 3/4" PVC, so there is no loss in flow in case the filter or pipes start to get dirty. I'm just wondering if going bigger like that will cause any issues. Loss of pressure? Air in the lines? Not sure.
    I am afraid if I go with 1/2" PVC I might have a reduction in flow/pressure.

Any ideas?
    "Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back it's still a bit fuzzy"

- Dave Mustaine; Megadeth

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    With a bigger pipe you will have the same GPH. No real dangers from going up, just cost and dealing with larger pipe. Half inch will be just fine for that filter. Its rated at 277gph.

See here for pipe flow stats-
    http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

The less elbows and bends the greater the flow rate will be.

If I were in your shoes I would plumb the reactor into the intake for the canister filter. Less stuff to run through walls, less stuff in the tank, and any bubbles that happen to make it through the reactor will have to face the impeller and all its fury.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?