· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also yesterday

Also yesterday I stopped at tractor supply. After hours of research monday and tuesday, following strings and links, I found so many recommendations of
    Black diamond blasting sand in place of tahitian moon sand.

The price is ridiculous. 7.99 for 20 lbs??? That is a big difference from it costing about $60 if I do tahitian moonsand or Eco complete.

Unfortunately, the bag is sealed and not see through so I did not buy it. I am finding it hard to believe that it could possibly look the same for that price. I hate to buy it sight unseen. I have considered the blasting sand as a base and covering it with the moonsand for the shimmer.

0 Not allowed!
    Go with the moonsand. they will both just get mixed up anyway. Im also not so sure about the sandblasting sand, as it tends to have a lot of impurities including metal in it. As for the sand getting into your filter, a simple pre-filter will prevent that.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have someone coming to look at the tank I bought on craigslist a few weeks ago. It is a beautiful 29 gal bowfront but once I got it home I decided it was to small for the area and wanted something larger so I relisted it.

If it sells, I can go out this week and buy more equipment toward setting up my tank!!!

Why does everything have to be so expensive. It all really adds up.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yay! Tank sold for $50 more then I bought it for.

Have an order with That pet place for

Air filter,
    Prime,
    Aquean Gravel Vacuum. (Is this the one I should get?)
    A couple decorations

Still need to get
    Gravel
    Power center
    LED bubble wall
    and plants before I can start setting up to cycle.

Getting closer though

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Set up over the weekend. I am having trouble getting the water clear. I believe it was because I used "Instant Aquarium" substrate. I have been doing water changes daily.

Also, My lights came in broken so I had to send them back. Right now I just have a workshop light fixture on the tank in an attempt to keep my plants from dying. New fixture should be in on thursday. Here are some pics.

Set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    3 days later.

A few new plants. 4 water changes. and supposedly some baby shrimp were hiding in the xmas moss but I can't find them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First five fish are in the tank. I started with 4 glofish and a female beta.
    2 pink, 1 purple and one yellow glofish.

The2 pinks and purple have hit it off and are swiming around having a blast riding the currents The female beta is acting typically beta, staying to herself exploring hiding places and going to the top for a breath occassionally.

The one worry is the yellow glofish is sitting on the bottom in a clump of plants. I believe it will die :( It makes me sad and makes me wonder what could be wrong with my water as the tank is only a few days old so it cant be an ammonia or nite issue.

Also some of my plants seem to be melting. I am so angry at "That Fish Place" First they sent a T5HO lights that were broken.. could happen to anyone, but they promised to send a new set out the day I called ( last thursday. I was expecting the lights to get here by saturday. I got mail on tuesday and the lights had not even been sent yet!!!!!!!! This was after talking to a manager who said she understood the pinch I was in and would make sure they went out THAT DAY. So now the plants are dying. I am wondering if that is fowling the water.

I have heard of plants melting though I guess I just dont know enough.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice start. The melting could be the plants adjusting to the new water parameters or could be due to the lack of light. Looks like you have a lot of med-high light fast growing stems. Are you injecting CO2?
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No co2 ...When I bought plants I tried to buy ones that said they would do ok without CO2. When the T5 H0 ever gets here I should have plenty of light.

I did buy some flourish excel. I have not added it yet.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All good news today. My lights finally arrived. Nova extreme. t5 ho duel fixture with a 10 k daylight and 6700k grow light.

It looks really nice really brightens the tank! All the glowfish lived through the night and are active and happy except the yellow one. The yellow one is still alive and looks fine but is still hiding. Maybe he just feels like a pariah among all the other pink glowfish. the female beta is active and enjoying the plant.

The glow fish are really fun to watch ad I think i will go buy a couple more yellow/green ones and see if that makes my other yellow one feels better.

added flourish excel today in an attempt to save the Anacharis.