· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Jade's aquarium journal. A Journey

0 Not allowed!
    Prologue

I grew up with aquariums in our home. That was way back in the 80's. I remember at one point when fancy tail guppies were just starting to get popular,
    my dad got the idea to breed and sell them.. Which he did for a little while. When I got married and moved out of my parents home I set up a tank, and then another. One tropical, once cichlid. I couldn't afford much back then so they were on make shift stands with equipment from walmart. The internet was not prolific back then so it was harder to get info than it is today. Eventually, the really cool electric catfish that I thought were really neat at the time, ate all my fish except for a few gigantic cichlids, but those cichlids made a mess of the tanks and I got sick of taking care of them and gave up.

In those days, when you set up a tank (unless you were extremely serious about the hobby) You set up a tank and dropped the fish in on the first day!

Fast forward to a year ago and moving into my first real house. While decorating I made the decision that I really wanted a beautiful aquarium done RIGHT. I resolved that I would do the proper research and take as long as it took to set it up to be able afford high quality equipment that would sustain a healthy, crystal clear, classy looking tank.

I started to research and keep my eye on craigslist for a nice looking tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Where I am today

I researched and planned over the winter. I wanted to make sure I was not being impulsive and was ready to commit to maintaining the tank properly. As spring and summer came, my creative energy was diverted to landscaping and gardening my new yard. I work full time as a pet groomer in a veterinary hospital, and own my own house call grooming business in the afternoon/evening so one hobby at a time for me.

As summer has waned and fall is coming upon us, I have begun to get serious about getting started. After a few false starts with the aquarium purchase and a horrible, frustrating experience with Petsmart, I have found 2 amazing local small pet/fish stores and begun building a relationship with them. I have made the investment on a brand new 46 gallon bowfront tank and stand (picture attached)

I have purchased my aquaclear 110 filter and API test kit from amazon.com . Buying online the filter was HALF the price of the same filter in any petstore in my area. The test kit $10 less. I cannot recommend pricing things online before spending the money enough if you are on a budget.

With those purchases I am spent out for a couple weeks. I will have to slowly purchase my equipment over time to do it right. In the meantime I will continue to plan my tank in my mind and hope to be up and running by the mid to end of october.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The new tank
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to seeing the build and final product!! I'm fascinated by other people's tanks. It helps me get ideas for my own. Do you have an idea of what you plan to stock in it? Will it be planted? Just curious!

0 Not allowed!
    Neat! Have you decided on what type of aquarium it's going to be (freshwater, freshwater planted, etc.) and what livestock you're going to keep yet?

It will be interesting seeing your progress.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys.. I do have ideas!! Right now I am pretty positive that I am going with black substrate. I fell in love with the super naturals tahitian moon subtrate with a dark backround. Black also?

I plan to stock the brighter fish to really pop against the dark substrate and backround. cardinal tetras, glofish, fancytail guppies and that brilliant blue hammer's cobalt lobster. Maybe a couple of the bright platys or swordtails if there is room.

Definitely will be doing live plants. The tank came with t5 duel lamp for lighting.

I was doing some research this afternoon and following links online about the supernaturals sand and found a string on the planted aquarium forum suggesting black diamond blasting sand in its place. The people on the forum are swearing it looks exactly the same.. hard to believe with the price difference.

0 Not allowed!
    Forget about the crayfish, it'll eat any fish it can catch. What's the wattage and color spectrum of those T5 tubes? You want about 6700K in color, and about two, or better, four, watts per gallon. With the latter, with a fine, iron-rich substrate, you could grow any plant you care to, including the stem plants.

Dark substrate and background will make the fish color up more, since they do so to 'blend in' so in nature birds won't be able to see them.

If you look up my book list (forgot where it's stickied on the forum) I'd suggest the Walstad book for building a proper planted tank substrate. Or PM me and I'll tell you how I do it.

Dave

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can use all the help I can get Dave! The guy at the fish store said the watts per gallon is a myth.. I also read on the net that was an old way of doing things.. Do you disagree?

0 Not allowed!
    I don't disagree, and it is an old way of doing it, but using light meters to gage lumens is a pain, so watts per gallon, isn't anything wrong measuring that way. Either you use lumens or watts per gallon, result is the same, intense full spectrum lights for planted tanks.

Dave

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A pleasant surprise

Yesterday I headed off to a house call grooming appt of a client who lives about 40 minutes away. As I was driving through a small town traffic cycle, what do I see but a tiny little shop called "The fish bowl"!

Have I mentioned that almost every small fish store in my area has been closed down by the economy and by Petco/smart?

I got to my appointment.. no one home. Grrrr. There is nothing more annoying then a client who lives far away that makes an appointment and then forgets they made. Anyway, the upside was I got to leave and hit "The fish bowl" before they closed. (most places on this main town street close by 6)

The place was very small, and not clean and bright like the big box stores, but boy did she fit alot in that small place. She had a long wall of tanks. The tanks were clean and clear and the fish looked great! She also had a tank of beautiful plants that gave me some ideas about how I want my plants to look. In speaking with her, she has been there for 30 years and is also discouraged (as other small pet stores have told me) with trying to compete with the big places.

Unfortunately, she did not seem to thrilled with my desire to use the tahitian moon sand either. She felt it was a risk to the filters (sigh) I really really think that sand is beautiful.

All and all it was a good visit and I will definitely head out there when it is time to buy the fish and plants.

I am still determined to stock as much as I can from the small local stores over Petco/smart.