· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Awards Showcase

You need gifts. Have a cookie! - Drumachine09 Good luck with your fishie - RobbieG Loving what you bring to the forum. Hope you are a long-term friend here! - gm72 For being you - Nick_Pavlovski Whatever yu want it to be - crackatinny 
    For helping us out and being a GREAT member! - gm72 I love you! - Over Actor Your my hero.....Kinda.....(^: - Kuli_Loach For the help with the coconut! - the P its about time i gave you a gift too! - cocoa_pleco 
    Let's celebrate Chica...maybe you can help make the favors - **AquaQueen** You do great work! - Lady Hobbs who doesn't want a cupcake? lol - tropfish Thanks for being as sweet as this Kiss to me...your a good friend! - **AquaQueen** I'm baking today and figured I'd share with my GF....Hope ya like choco-chip w/nuts - **AquaQueen** 
    For Your Daughter...she will like this better...No Milk! - **AquaQueen** Drink up! - Nick_Pavlovski Thanks for being so nice! - Bill M. Good Luck in the tiebreaker! - RobbieG thanks for adding me as a buddy! - *Sarah* 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MeganL3985 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - MeganL3985 World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MeganL3985 Gay and Lesbian Pride - MeganL3985 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MeganL3985 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MeganL3985 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MeganL3985 

Question Dwarf Gouramis Temperment

0 Not allowed!
    So I went to petsmart today to look at their selection of Dwarf Gouramis (sucked!) but anyway, I was speaking with my husbands friends wife who works there and she said that the Gouramis are very aggressive, especially the pink kissing gouramis. I was told and have read that the Dwarf Gouramis are very docile and shy?? I have yet to read that the dwarfs are aggressive.
    Is this true?? I don't want to buy any mean fish if I can help it. lol
    *Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What Your Up To*

Tanks-
    55 Gallon--On Hold, In Storage...
    20 Gallon High--Tetra and Cory's
    5 Gallon Hex--Guppies (3 Female, 2 Male)
    2.5 Gallon Mini Bow--Future ADF Habitat
    <3 RIP--To My Former Fishies <3

*Aquatic Lounge Chatroom*
    http://theaquaticlounge.chatango.com/

0 Not allowed!
    i had some dwarfs at one time time, they were ok as far as temperment goes but would be a little fickle with other gouramis because they claim territories. all in all i won't say they were too bad especially now that i have mbuna tank. i will say that i started out with 7 gouramis and now i have 3, they seem to die off easy and for no reason.
    Last edited by sergo; 08-02-2007 at 09:04 PM.
    55 gal lightly planted mbuna

"some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

0 Not allowed!
    The only time I've ever seen the dwarfs act aggressively is with just two in a tank. The flip side of that is that I've always seen them try to kill each other with just two in a smallish tank (10 -30 gallons)
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

0 Not allowed!
    Never seen an aggressive gourami, I don't think a dwarf would be aggressive at all. My kissing isn't. Kissing are semi just because they get big really. They are peaceful to other fish, they will fight amongst each other, best to get about 3-4 at least and I think that helps with keeping the fighting from being so bad.
    New chatroom!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MeganL3985
    So I went to petsmart today to look at their selection of Dwarf Gouramis (sucked!) but anyway, I was speaking with my husbands friends wife who works there and she said that the Gouramis are very aggressive, especially the pink kissing gouramis. I was told and have read that the Dwarf Gouramis are very docile and shy?? I have yet to read that the dwarfs are aggressive.
    Is this true?? I don't want to buy any mean fish if I can help it. lol
    Gouramis as a general can be aggressive towards each other, but it depends on the species. Provided that there is enough hiding spaces for the loser it can work.

Pink kissing gouramis are aggressive and are not dwarf. Blue or three spot are aggressive as well.

I have had dwarf flame gouramis and and pearl gouramis in my 46 gallon. The pearl gouramis are very docile and did not bother anyone. The dwarf flames were terrors to each other and were always chasing each other. There is a definite hierarchy in the tank with them.

It also will very depending on the fish.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

0 Not allowed!
    Also, if you may enjoy fish that chase, you can look into danios, they chase for fun! Yes, I ditto on that, hiding places are needed and room.
    New chatroom!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my giant seems to be very mellow, but then again i have had him in my tank for about a day with 5 other gourami's. when i let him out of the bag he sank directly to the bottom and i thought he was dead. but he is fine now. so far so good. the closest of my fish that are aggressive is my golden one, she seems to chase at all of them and nip a bit, but nothing too serious.

8. Default Dwarfs and Bettas

0 Not allowed!
    am getting a couple 30gal tanks up after about 15 yrs away from the hobby. I once had a Peacock Eel in a 30gal tank with a gentle Red Oscar and they got along swimmingly... I really want to put an eel in each of my tanks but now I want to consider the colorful Dwarf Gourami and perhapes a male Beta...

My question is (I know the eels are very NON-agressive) but can the dwarfs and a betas co-exist in a tank?

Who can tell?
    Last edited by warezaholic; 05-11-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: spelling

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How on earth did you find this thread? lol

It is 6 years old...

To get a better answer-please start a new thread.