· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Totm...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry hungy, when I posted my last post I did not want to refere to your previous post, I hate singling posts out to reply to, as I try not to pffend anyone.
    But, here is how I see it. Bare in mind, I am looking through a 2 way mirror here, I have nothing to do with the comps, yet see the other workload hobbs is under.

OK, picture nomination thread?

Here is a pic of my heaverly planted 90G tankl.

Here is a pic of my 5G tank with one betta

Here is a pic of my 55G tank, the angel you see is since passed away

Oh I wish I could do better, but here is a pic of my 75G

Sorry mate, but taking the comments way, along with a lot of other things, makes a difference, honestly, I would rather look at a pic of a tank, that I do not even know who owns.
    If you look back through this thread, Robbie had a debate with hobbs about my own tank in the last comp, I kept out of it because it was a conflict involving myself, but bottom line, my tank was not up to scratch.

Look at the big picture please, yes a lot of work putting them in photobucket, but without comments on size, real or fake surroundings, etc, it must make i fairer?, it does to me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumachine09
    Ask hobbs. You dont undestand what i am telling you.
    evidently I missed something. Can you please explain how your response answered my question.

Tell me if I am wrong here. This is my summary of the thread.

1. it was asked if we could have more categories for the tank of the month.

2. General consensus was that size did not matter and if we did split it up that there would not be enough pictures to make all of the categories competitive.

3. I asked/ suggested that instead of have two pictures per month in either catagory that you are allowed two per category. That way there would be no excuses for people not to enter in the totm and POtm every month if they wanted to do both.

4. You drumachine told me that hobbs allready has to do a lot of work moving the pcitrues each and every week., and that was why it would not work.

5. I asked why the pictures are offloaded to photobucket each week instead of keeping them housed on the site? Hoping that you guys might be able to eliminate this step and save some time. I was trying to make your life easier.

6. Drum and Crack tell me that the moderators are overworked and will look into, but never answer my question.

7. I restate my question clearly.

8. You still don't answer my question and tell me I am do not understand what you are saying.

Now looking at this summary of the post please tell me where I misunderstood you and what I am not understanding?

I think I have been clear in my points and you have failed to answer my question of why the pictures are moved every week.

Please go back and quote your post that states Factually that the pictures are moved to photobucket every month because ...l.........
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:
    Celestial Pearl Danios, Red Cherry Shrimp

20g long planted tank:
    N strain Endlers Live bearers

5 gallon:
    Half moon betta (blue body, Yellow fins)

Pictures and My Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

a plant for your fish tank - hobbs   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   ...word... - Drumachine09   Thanks for the help - Incredulous_Ed   For keeping me straight!! - Lady Hobbs   
    Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by crackatinny
    Sorry hungy, when I posted my last post I did not want to refere to your previous post, I hate singling posts out to reply to, as I try not to pffend anyone.
    But, here is how I see it. Bare in mind, I am looking through a 2 way mirror here, I have nothing to do with the comps, yet see the other workload hobbs is under.

OK, picture nomination thread?

Here is a pic of my heaverly planted 90G tankl.

Here is a pic of my 5G tank with one betta

Here is a pic of my 55G tank, the angel you see is since passed away

Oh I wish I could do better, but here is a pic of my 75G

Sorry mate, but taking the comments way, along with a lot of other things, makes a difference, honestly, I would rather look at a pic of a tank, that I do not even know who owns.
    If you look back through this thread, Robbie had a debate with hobbs about my own tank in the last comp, I kept out of it because it was a conflict involving myself, but bottom line, my tank was not up to scratch.

Look at the big picture please, yes a lot of work putting them in photobucket, but without comments on size, real or fake surroundings, etc, it must make i fairer?, it does to me
    Thanks for the response. and I think that I need to appoligize for high jacking this thread. i should have started a new one.

To me the issue of whether the all inclusive TOTM category was fair was a dead issue and was answered earlier.

Reading back through the posts it seemed that there were multiple quotes along these lines.

Quote Originally Posted by salmon
    well, if you don't submit your picture you may never know if your tank is good or bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by skarleys mom
    I understand why some might want to have size catagories for this comp. but I agree with Hobbs- you can always enter 2 POTM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lady hobbs
    As of last Oct or Nov, our selections were of 5 or 6 tanks. The contests have only gotten this big in the last few months. If they should drop back off again, it would be pretty difficult to have 4 categories with only 6 or 7 entries. It would no longer be a contest.
    Seeing this is seemed to me that if the category idea was ever going to fly we would need to encourage more participation in the contests.

That is why I suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhound
    if you want to get more tanks submitted each month. The best thing to do would be to change the rules of the number of pictures that one can submit. Instead of only being able to post two pictures total in both catagories, make it so that you can post 2 pictures in TOTM and two pictures in POTM.
    I was then told by Drum. this reason for why it would not work.

Quote Originally Posted by drumachine09
    Also, think about hobbs job. She, out of the kidness of her heart, uploads them on to photobucket for us all to enjoy. She already has a ton of pictures on her hands. Now what if we were to double that? Thats a lot of un-necesary work.
    That is why I asked if it was even necessary to transfer them to phtotobucket? and am still waiting on an answer.

To me it seems clear that the pictures can be easily viewed in the submission thread without transferring them to phtobucket. There is no issue with bandwidth for the submission thread because that thread is left up for the entire month.

The only advantage to transferring them to photobucket is that it allows you to view it as a slide show.

But the negatives of moving it seem to be much worse.

It is very time consuming and I do not know that many people take advantage of it.

So my question is whether this practice is truly a good use of your precious time.

it might be simpler and easier to allow everyone to upload their pictures to the submission thread.

let everyone click on the thumbnails to view the pictures

Vote on the winner

then only transfer the winning photos.

delete the rest of the submission thread.

To me this plan saves you guys as mods an extra 2 to 3 hours of doing "lots of work behind the scenes" that is never noticed.

Then if you want to go the route of changing the contest to make it one or two pictures per contest, you can safely do that without increasing your workload.
    Last edited by hungryhound; 08-03-2007 at 07:40 PM.
    46g planted tank:
    Pearl Gouramis, New Guinea Red Rainbowfish, Siamese algae eaters, Yoyo Loaches, Zebrafish, oto cats, L114 (aka Leopard cactus pleco)

30g planted tank:

20g long planted tank:

5 gallon:

Pictures and My Blog

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I have been sitting back trying not to say anything because right now I am so disgusted it might not be safe to say anything.

I can't believe all the whining and crying I am hearing in this thread. One wants this, one wants that and another wants something else. One of the biggest attractions of this site is the photo contests which everyone has enjoyed.....up until now.

The rules were set up by William and myself. He is the site manager and has the final say. I offered suggested and he offered suggestions and between the two of us, the rules were formed in what we felt the good of the forum and all involved.

In the beginning, as I previously mentioned, only 4 or 5 pictures were submitted. Back then it wasn't a big deal to post huge pictures and submit as many as you wanted. But the contests grew and with the growth there had to come changes.

When it was decided that thumbnails had to be used, what a huge stink that caused!! Because some people have DSL and get downloads quickly, they thought everyone should. Unfortunately for those living in rural areas, dial- ups are all they can get so waiting for a thread to download 20 huge pictures was an inconvenience. Threads need to be kept uniform, convenient for everyone to access and not to give one contestant advantage over anyone.
    I might add that thumbnails leave the work of resizing your pictures up to you and not to me, as they did previously. Why that ever turned into such a fiasco I'll never know. Adding your link to the body of the post is no harder than adding it to Manage Attachments.

If you look around the net and check out different forums, you will see very few have contests at all. Now I can see why!! Even those that do have contests allow 10 pictures. All the pictures are looked at by the judging panel and from those only 10 are picked to go to the polls. You guys get all your pictures out there and we have no limit on only 10 pictures. How would you like to submit your pictures and have them tossed out by the judges and not even going to the vote?

As far as the photobucket site, this was my idea and no one else was involved with that. I paid for the site myself because I thought it would be a convenience to you. It also allowed a place to store old pictures in archieves and give you a place to view pictures as a slideshow. I don't care if you ever go there. You can see the pictures in the threads just fine. But because some people might prefer the site, I will continue loading them to the site for those that do enjoy it.

The certificates were also my idea. I made them and also store them so if anyone wants to gripe about those as well, now would be the time.

The contest rules are not changing!!! They are the way they are for a reason. And it has nothing to do with how much of MY TIME I donate to my site.

Sorry Bill your thread turned into this whiney mess. I realize you were just asking a simple question and never planned on it going this far.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 08-03-2007 at 10:10 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent supporter! Great posts! - Rue   good poster/nice guy - Lady Hobbs   thanks for all the help here - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for the research! - Nick_Pavlovski   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RobbieG   

0 Not allowed!
    I apologize for my stupid comment Lady Hobbs - I was wrong and never meant to question the job that you do running the contest. You and all the other volunteers do a fantastic job keep this the best site on the net.
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

0 Not allowed!
    With that said.

I am going to make a descion to CLOSE THIS THREAD.

Any complaints toward this disission, can be forwarded to myself via PM

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Autism - hungryhound   

0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to say my final words here.

First off I wanted to apologize to Bill. I Shoudl not have hijacked your thread. Sorry Buddy,

I want to apologize to Crackatinny and Drumachine09 as I should not have pushed so hard to try and get an answer to my question.

I would like to apologize to hobbs. I was not trying to belittle your job. I have the utmost respect for the mods and the job that they do. I am sorry.

I was trying to get a handle on why and how the contest worked and got to wrapped up in getting my question answered. I should not have been so forceful.

Finaly I would like to apologize to the board as a whole and anyone else I may have offended in my heated discussion.

thanks.

hungryhound
    46g planted tank:

30g planted tank:

20g long planted tank:

5 gallon:

Pictures and My Blog

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345