· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED lighting

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I also trying out LEDs for the first time on my 37g reef tank and I went with the SOL blue from AI. Im really loving them so far I can wait till my tank is ready for more corals like SPS to really see what they are capable of lol

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i think LEDS can and will surpass every light eventually XD
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, they use little energy, can be any color and almost never burn out. They are the way of the future.

0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to revive this thread after doing a little reading. IMO, anyone considering LEDs in the next few months needs to read the article at Wet Web Media concerning LEDs. The lesson: great technology with lots of potential, just don't cut corners and get a cheap fixture.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    I could not agree more Goldbarb. When it comes to reef lighting, you can not buy the cheap LEDs and get anywhere near the same results.

I am still running my LEDs at less than 100% capacity (white 45% and blue 80%) and the lighting is brighter than my 6 bulbs of T5HO that I had on there. My corals, clam, and anemone are still growing and the colors pop more now as well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have actually made a LED thing from those cheap 5MM leds they work fine on small tanks such as nano's i have 18 blue's spotted over my Zoa until my GU10 Led arrive and it opens up and shows great color. i ordered 5 GU-10 LED's 3 blue and 2 cool white, but i am def. looking for a more permenant solution for when i get a bigger salt tank in the future.

Cliff do you have the fixture already? if so do you have before pics and after with the LED's?

0 Not allowed!
    I've been using the LEDs for about a month now. It's on my 120 gallon tank (4'X2'X2')

I've got a new camera so I'm still trying to get a few good after pics. It's really hard for me (with my limited camera skills) to get a pic that truly captures the the full extent of the color. I'll post a few pics this weekend or early next week at the latest.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hpimichael02
    i have actually made a LED thing from those cheap 5MM leds they work fine on small tanks such as nano's i have 18 blue's spotted over my Zoa until my GU10 Led arrive and it opens up and shows great color. i ordered 5 GU-10 LED's 3 blue and 2 cool white, but i am def. looking for a more permenant solution for when i get a bigger salt tank in the future.

Cliff do you have the fixture already? if so do you have before pics and after with the LED's?
    The problem isn't that they don't work, it's that you don't always get the PAR that you need, and rather than 50,000 hours, you usually only get 10,000 - 17,000 hours from these cheap LEDs.

When you do the math, it's rather interesting. Let's say for my 210gal tank, I decide to go with EcoTech Radions to light it. Well, that means I need 3 fixtures, and I will need to drop about $750 per fixture. EcoTech uses the Cree LEDs in their fixtures, Cree are known as the best on the market due to the greatest Lumen to watt ratio, as well as producing the most PAR. The LEDs in a Radion fixture will last 50,000 hours, that translates to about 11 years being run at 100% for 12 hours per day. Now, let's say I cut corners and get those cheap LEDs and I still pay $300 per fixture. Well, at an average life of about 10,000-17,000 hours (2.5 years), I'll replace them times before the Eco Tech fixtures burn out. So, I put out $2,250 1 time for the Radions, or I put out $900 4 times in the same time frame totaling $3600 for the cheap fixtures. Savings? nope, not at all.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put a sales pitch out there for EcoTech, but you get the idea, the cheap fixtures are not really cheaper in the long run.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    I agree 100% here. With leds you really do get what you pay for. Ive used the cheap gu10 bulbs from ebay and they lasted only 6 months. I then built a cree fixture for a little more then the gu10s, but it will probably last 10+ years.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i completely agree you get what you pay for, how ever a $30 investment on a 10G nano/ temp tank is not bad at all, im actually buying a MH fixture this week for my 150G but as for now the GU10 will be sufficent- not the best but better than nothing.