· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED lighting

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, I want to up-grade for three reasons:

1) The blues in a good quality LED fixture are AMAZING. They bring out colors in corals like no other lighting can

2) I want to biuld a canopy for my tank, so I will have to change my lighting or I will have issues with heat inside the canopy from my current T5HO fixture.

3) They consum a lot less power and produce a lot less heat than all other lighting options for a reef tank
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Cliff
    ...3 watt bulbs, and with descent reflectors
    [/QUOTE]

I just want to clear up one detail. LEDs don't need reflectors. The light leaves the emitter at about 120 degree angle. It doesn't radiate from the sides of the emitter. Any light coming out the sides is incidental scattering from the emitter material.
    Lenses are used to focus the light into a tighter cone. They are typically shaped like a flashlight reflector and some are silver, but the principle use is to narrow the cone of light.

0 Not allowed!
    Your are correct, I used the wrong term. I should have stated lenses. Some old habits die hard I guess. I really should not use the term "bulb" as LEDs truly are not a light bulb.

I have read some on-line reviews were some of the earlier LED models had lenses which would make a very narrow light pattern almost giving the effect of a circle of light on the bottom of the tank. The lense was too focused in those cases. Better quality lenses do not do that, which is what I am looking for.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Today I got to see the SOL model of LEDs made by Aqua Illuminations. They got some in the SW LFS here in town and they were setting up one of the lighting sections showing the new owner how to program and set them up. LEDs really seam to bring out colors in corals better than T5 or MH. Just my observation tho

I’m really glad I decided to take the plunge and get these LEDS. The SW LFS ordered them in for me this past week, but the mounting kits and controller that I wanted are on backorder. Hopefully I’ll have them within a month or two

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    HOW DID I MISS A THREAD ABOUT LEDS !!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

glad you are getting them in tho, you must put up some pics when everything is set up XD
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    You're slipping genocidex

I also did take you advise and look into DYI LEDs but I did not trust myself when it came to lining up the lenses for a uniform lighting pattern. That and I travel too much for work so I did not think I would have the extra time to do it.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    yeah not every one has the time to put into led systems :P but at least your taking the steps into leds.
    im still confuggled with leds and heat.... let me know if and how much heat those things put out :P.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    You and me both

The one I that I saw demo’d today was on for about ½ hour and it did not feel warm to me at all. But the fixture has a large heatsink on it. From talking with current owners of earlier versions of this fixture, they stated the do get warm but the end of the day but not nearly as hot as T5s.

I’ll see when I have mine up and running.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was at an LFS today picking up some coral and one of their tanks had LEDs so being curious I stuck my hand right underneath them to feel how hot they were and I couldn't feel anything at all! I don't think they were turned up all the way though cause they didn't look super bright but I've also never seen any other LED fixtures in person so they could have been. But the point is I didn't feel the heat from them at all. I know my T5HOs get pretty hot after being on for not so long so it is a HUGE difference
    My 14 Gallon Reef
    Fish are Friends, not Food

0 Not allowed!
    We've had our leds on the tank a few days now, and even after 12 hours of running the fixtures are no more then 10 degrees warmer then room temperature. No more burnt arms from bumping a metal halide for me, lol. I think the fixtures stay cool due to their large heatsink and the 3 3inch fans in each fixture

I've also noticed a great difference in tank temp. We use to have 3 250 watt metal halides on the system and the tank stayed 80-81, even though the t-stat is set at 78.5 and a high velocity fan running all the time. Now with 3 led fixtures its stays right at 78.5, all day long. Our fan only runs a few minuets here or there, so our evaporation is down to maybe a gallon a day, when we use to have 4-5 gallons a day evaporation

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump