· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LED lighting

Default LED lighting

0 Not allowed!
    For the past few weeks (or so), I’ve been researching LED lighting with the hopes of up-grading the lighting on our 120 gallon reef tank. Based on what I have been able to learn, I identify the below feature as something that I had wanted:

Between 75 and 100, 3 watt bulbs, and with descent reflectors
    Programmable timers
    Changeable bulbs
    Expandable / up-gradable lighting should I change the corals in the tank
    A mid-range quality system

I think I found the LED lighting for me. What I like the most about it is that: it has a completely programmable timer that I can use my laptop to set-up, and that it is modular so I can add or remove as my needs may change. I’m thinking about getting 3 section of LED lighting made by Aqua Illumining ( link: http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/ )

Just wondering if anyone else here has used, or know anyone else who uses Aqua Illumination LED lighting ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I've never heard of them, but I have used crees, which are the brightest leds on the market, so it looks pretty good to me.

Glad to see someone else making the jump to LED's, lol. We will hopefully have ours by the 19th

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im looking forward to benefitting from a few who go before me Do post how they work for you.

0 Not allowed!
    how much roughly would that set you back?

I'm thinking of going DIY on the LEDs next year sometime!
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfraser05

Cliff got a GOOD bonus this year
    http://www.aquacon.com/Aqua%20Illumi..._Lighting.html

0 Not allowed!
    either that or his numbers came up!!!!

What do you do for a living Cliff?

You a drug dealer?

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Oh you guys

I build tanks stands for the SW LFS so I will be working this off.

But I do wish I had the money to pay full retail
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Ah..... beats working off things by washing the dishes lol

So do you make the stands to order for each individual customer or do the LFS buy them off you then sell them?

0 Not allowed!
    So far only built for for the LSF's stock and they sell to their customers. The owner of the store really takes good care of me so I can't emagine that I would ever sell them directly to any customer.

I havn't had the LFS request a certain color finish to match their customer's exsisting furniture, but I have offered that.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfraser05

i use to think DIY led was the way to go, but i dont think i could have built one for our 75 gallon sps dominated equal to its metal halides for less then $800-900, plus all the time to assemble it. It cost us $300 to make a 16 bulb cree fixture for a 10 gallon and and a lot of tedious work was involved in setting it up.

The price of decent prefab fixures have come way down. We just ordered 2 led fixtures for our 75 gallon for under $700 which are just as good if not better the the halides... and i dont have to assemble a thing, just hang and plug in, lol. I figure it will pay for itself in 3-4 years just on bulb replacement savings alone, not to mention the use half the electricty as metal halide for the same output

When shopping for an led fixture you want to look for 2 thing, 1st make sure the use heatsinks and not just tin foil for cooling.
    Also, make sure it uses a decent led, like cree or bridgelux. Good ones will also keep running if 1 bulb goes out and usualy have replaceable bulbs.

I look forward to seeing pictures of yours when you get them installed Cliff. This didnt have anything to do with our post about the blown ballast and getting leds, did it, lol
    Last edited by labnjab; 09-11-2011 at 12:16 AM.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump