· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Metal Halide Ballast died

0 Not allowed!
    Today the ballast for the left half of our tank decided to die We lost the one for our frag tank this spring, which luckily it was under warranty, but this one doesn't have a warranty. I'm thinking the power surges due to Irene last week may have lead to its demise

Rather then spend $150-$200 for a new decent ballast, I've been debating on spending a little more and getting a high output LED fixture. A good and respectable LFS started carrying these fixtures http://www.championlighting.com/prod...at=1592&page=1 Its suppose to be as good as a 250 watt metal halide and in a side-by side picture with it and a 14000K 250 watt metal halide, you can't tell the difference.

My biggest concern is if its gonna have enough par to keep our croeca clam on the sand bed alive and well. The light claims its as good as a 250 watt metal halide, but I'm a little skeptical.

What are your thoughts, is it worth a shot? We want to eventually switch all halides to LED, but were kind of waiting until the price dropped. I did send the LFS an email and asked them if they would recommend it for us and I trust them enough not to tell us it will work just to make a sale. Thank you for any input.

For now we rigged up the 48 watt Cree LED fixture we had on our 10 gallon so it will work on the 75. It not enough light for long term, but it will keep things from dying until we get another light or ballast

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    I have limited knowledge of clams, just resently getting my first ones only a few weeks ago.

Both of mine are doing good in a 24" high tank and 4 bulb T5HO lighting. From what I understand, the LED fixture you posted here has at least the same amount of light (likely a whole lot more).

I would guess you would be fine with the LEDS
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. Yeah, I'll probably be fine, I just like to ask and get other opinions, lol. Its a huge investment, but I'd like to have all LED my the time we move into a house and have to start paying for electricity. If I like what we see at the display in their store, I may buy 2 and replace both halides on the display. We got a new amazon credit card burning a hole in my pocket I'll probably be able to sell the metal halides and get half the cash back.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Just found another fixture similarly priced, but with a lot more reviews, and it claims 250 par at 24 inches deep. http://apolloreefled.com/shop/solarblast-ultra/
    I may buy these instead mainly because I can find reviews where we can find them with the blueline

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    I wish I never opened that link

I really want a LED fixture (or two) now

I can't why either one of the fixtures would not work for a clam.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going for it. I wish the ballast never blew, lol Breaking out the new credit card now and ordering 2 of the appollo fixtures...boy I hope we sell ALOT of coral before the credit card bill comes in, lol. It will pay off in the long run though, especially when we get a house and start paying for power, plus no more $150 for new bulbs every 10 months

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Its done, we ordered them, lol. The credit card is smoking. They are located in Pennsylvania so if all goes well we will have them Thursday or Friday

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish