· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default sexing my BN plecos

0 Not allowed!
    ive read that BN plecos are easily sexed as the male has the bristles all over hisnose and the female doesnt, can somebody confirm this as true or not? also if it is true how old does the fish have to be before the bristles start to show or do they show as soon as the fish starts forming properly as it leaves the fry stage?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, everything I have read so far indicates that is true, except for the fact that some females also have bristles. Therefore you could accidentally end up with a female when you expect a male. I would expect the female to have less bristles on average perhaps but can't recall precisely on that point.

Not sure on the age at which they develop bristles, I would be curious on that point too if anyone knows for sure.
    Mucky

Unusually I have nothing more to add...

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Males have bristles up the center of their noses as well as around the edges. Females have none or some around just the edge

Some males can appear female, especially if in the company of another dominant male
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    It takes a while, too. I bought a small 1.5" bristlenose pleco. It took almost 6 months before I saw even the faintest hint of bristles, and then a couple more months after that before I was comfortable confirming that it was a male.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    For positive ID you have to wait until they are nearly mature. For good guesses, males bristles will be longer and more plentiful after the fish are a couple of months old.

To help them grow up faster, feed them. Zucchini is great and they love it. Peal store bought, for pesticide safety. Slice them into what ever works for you and stick a fork in it. Stainless steel forks work very well to hold the raw zucchini on the bottom. It you blanch it, it will usually sink by itself. Take the left overs out the next day or it will start to rot.

Earthworm sticks will do very well for meat and protein. Algae wafers are a good standard food along with the zucchini.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okai thanx for the advice :) ill keep an eye out for those bristles :) hopefully one of my two is a male cause i would like to see the bristlees first hand :) and hopefully they appear before they get too big for my tank and have to be moved :)