· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Question Angelfish Sizes?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so I am looking at breeding Angelfish and I am wondering how big they usually are when they hit maturity (around 8 or 9 months I believe).

The juveniles at the pet store are about 7-8cm from nose to tailfin, about how old would they be roughly?

Just wanting to know if I got these how long it would be before they pair up and begin the breeding process (if all goes to plan of course).

Cheers,
    Sam

0 Not allowed!
    They are about five to six months old. And since Angelfish can live for a decade or more, they can breed from that age to eight years old.

And it depends on how many Angelfish you have, what size your aquarium is, and the preference of the fishes. At least eight Angelfish in a group so two would come to an agreement and breed. With eight, you have a 92 percent chance of a compatible pair forming. Of course, your aquarium should be of sufficient size to properly house eight adult angelfish.

Have you given any though of feeding and growing out the fry?

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine started spawning when they hit the 5" mark from mouth to tail, hope that gives you what you were looking for.....

0 Not allowed!
    One of our former members here breed and sold angels. He had 55 gallon grow-out tanks and they went to market at the 3 month mark.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    They are about five to six months old. And since Angelfish can live for a decade or more, they can breed from that age to eight years old.

And it depends on how many Angelfish you have, what size your aquarium is, and the preference of the fishes. At least eight Angelfish in a group so two would come to an agreement and breed. With eight, you have a 92 percent chance of a compatible pair forming. Of course, your aquarium should be of sufficient size to properly house eight adult angelfish.

Have you given any though of feeding and growing out the fry?

Dave
    So they are breedable, but it's just difficult trying to establish a pair. How long would that usually take?

Yeah, I've done some reading into the fry and the eggs and how to look after it all. Do you have any tips that could help? :)

Quote Originally Posted by angel_love
    Mine started spawning when they hit the 5" mark from mouth to tail, hope that gives you what you were looking for.....
    Is that to the end of the tail?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    One of our former members here breed and sold angels. He had 55 gallon grow-out tanks and they went to market at the 3 month mark.
    55G? So he would have had a few of those I'm guessing?

0 Not allowed!
    Most people refer to angelfish size in terms of height. This can vary a lot depeding upon the genetics of the fish. Most domestic angelfish grow to around 5-7" tall, angelfish which have some wild blood tossed into the mix(angelsplus, and other better breeders) will grow larger and hit around 9-10" tall. Angelfish can start to breed once they become silver dollar body size in most cases. You will do best to start out with a minimu of 6 fish, a 55G tank will suffice for this until they pair up. Then move each pair out to its own tank...29G minimum. 55G is a good size to grow fry out in. I would start this breeding project with no less than 2-3 55G tanks, 1-2 29G tanks, and a few 10Gs for young fry.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Thankyou very much, that's great advice :D