· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    The issue with any wild animal is that they are loaded with parasites, and other bad guys - this also makes an issue for a tank (esp. with tank breed fish who have never been exposed to these illnesses). Many of these bad guys are kept in check by constant water flow and lack of nitrates/phosphates but in any home (read enclosed) aquarium these chemicals are orders of magitude higher so bad guys can go 'wild' (bad pun), that is multiply uncontrollably. Also, in the wild only the super healthy tend to live due to these factors but tank breed are not this healthy. Store bought is safer (most times.) Dr.fosther/Smith sells clams. Clams do not do well unless you can feed them properly and have very clean water (mature is not the issue) that is changed (mature just means you have a lot of nitrates that are kept at a modest level due to wc). My two cents and good luck.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    Mature tanks also have more established microorganisms. A tank that is only a few weeks or a few months old is still finding its balance and establishing suitable cultures to help keep filter feeders fed.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

0 Not allowed!
    So, would a well-maintained tank that will be a year old on Sept. 26th be considered "mature"?
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    I would say so.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    The issue with any wild animal is that they are loaded with parasites, and other bad guys .... Many of these bad guys are kept in check by constant water flow and lack of nitrates/phosphates but in any home (read enclosed) aquarium these chemicals are orders of magitude higher so bad guys can go 'wild' (bad pun), that is multiply uncontrollably.....
    All wild animals are loaded with parasites? That's news to me.

Native freshwater mussels (Unionids) can live up to 100 years - they are pretty tough critters if they survived all the nasty chemicals that were present in the water during the industrial revolution, high levels of mercury, etc. EKFISHLOVER, Many of these are protected, threatened or endangered so that's why you can get in some serious trouble if you are spotted with the wrong critter in your hands. However...
    Freshwater clams (Corbicula) are introduced, small, short-lived and very abundant. (They are easily disinguishable from the Unionids because of their size and rows of ridges in their shells). This makes them ideal for your first trial of keeping clams, but I wouldn't pay for them... they are everywhere. Go scoop up some of these guys and try them out.

As mentioned by Cermet and Scrup, they've just got to be fed properly. They aren't like fish where you can feed them a few days, them leave them be for a few days. They need a constant supply of food (and flow) so that they can filter out tiny particles and feed off of them. The reason why most clams die in aquaria is that they slowly (very very slowly) starve to death. Since they don't have a visible mouth or belly - people just don't know if they are getting enough food.

In our fish lab, we are holding some gigantic Georgia elephant-ears (Elliptio dariensis) and Altamaha slabshells (Elliptio hopetonensis) in a 220 gallon tank. We feed crushed pellets and flakes each day when we feed their tankmates (warmouth, bluehead chubs, and channel cats - all messy eaters). This summer, we would also bring in about 50 gallons of deep-green, plankton-filled water from our catfish ponds and dump it in the tank. The water was crystal clear in 18 hours from them filtering the water.

Sorry for the tangent, but the moral is... a constant supply of food is needed, but as you can imagine, keeping ammonia down when constantly dumping crushed food in can be a tough task, but it is doable. So just start out small with a few individuals, keep an eye on water quality, make sure they stay open and you can see them filtering, and you should be good.
    Support your local ichthyofauna - buy a fishing license!

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Uncle Willie. That was informative.
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That was informative. :) Yea, definitely sounds like im not trying that for a while. Maybe in 10 or so years when i have a job that gives me better hours that i can actually work with my tank. Also id need much better flow, as all my flow is vertical, and id assume clams need horizontal for the filter-feeding. Normally what i would take from the river would be the little tiny inch at the biggest shells, only once have i ever seen a mussel, and man that was HUGE!!!! My stepmom picked it up and came to show us what she found, called it a clam. It was bigger than a dinner plate. Id never get one of those, so i should be good with avoiding the endangered and restricted species. At this point much later in life when i try this ill probably make like a hillstream tank and keep the hillstream loaches and clams together in this high current tank, maybe add some minnows from the river while im there. Ill get the minnows and clams first, treat with my invert-safe parasite medication after 2 weeks of settling in, and then after another month or two ill add the hillstreams. That way im sure that the tank is parasite free. That sounds like a good idea. Ill do all this im predicting... 15 years from now. Yea, that should be long enough...
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything