· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Thinking about getting clams.

0 Not allowed!
    I have never had clams before, and dont know anybody personally that has. I have a freshwater tank. Is it true that they improve water quality? What do they eat? How do i feed them? How often? How do they grow? How many can/should i get (see signature for current stocking and tank sizes)? Is it possible for my betta to break shells? How many can fit in his tank if not? Are there different breeds that are commonly sold? Do Pennsylvania Petsmart or Petco's sell them and whats typical price. If not, will ones i pick from river be fine to use? Answer as many of these questions as you can please. Thank you for your help.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    I'll do my best, answers are in RED.

Quote Originally Posted by ekfishlover2011
    I have never had clams before, and dont know anybody personally that has. I have 5 in my pond that I bring inside for the winter. Have managed to keep them for a few years now. I have a freshwater tank.
    Is it true that they improve water quality?No, IIRC some saltwater clams actually can "eat" nitrates, but I think it is involved with photosynthesis somehow. Freshwater clams can absorb nitrates, but it is pretty bad for em and usually kills them fairly fast. They will however eat tiny invisible floating things in the water, including "Pea Soup Algae" What do they eat? How do i feed them? How often? I feed mine 20 drops of phytoplankton (for marine tanks) every few days. That paired with a well established tank seems to be adequate. How do they grow? Very. Slowly. How many can/should i get (see signature for current stocking and tank sizes)? I would do 1 tops, see below. Is it possible for my betta to break shells? No. Unless your betta has a jackhammer. How many can fit in his tank if not? One, see below. Are there different breeds that are commonly sold? I have seen two breeds for sale around here. Mostly in LFS or online. Do Pennsylvania Petsmart or Petco's sell them and whats typical price. No idea, but I wouldn't pay more than $2 a clam. If not, will ones i pick from river be fine to use? Absolutely not. Do NOT harvest wild clams, this is asking for a disaster, both with your tank and possibly with the authorities. Answer as many of these questions as you can please. Thank you for your help.
    Clams are not that entertaining, as you will rarely see them moving. They dig in the sand, move around trying to find the best spot to get food, then stay there. When one of them dies, it rots very fast, usually resulting in a huge ammonia spike and dead fish. That is usually my indication that a clam has died, when the fish start showing signs of ammonia poisoning, or they start dying. I strongly advise against them mixed with anything else that you care about until you are comfortable that you can keep them alive. If they are sick, you probably wont notice, and when they die, normally the shells open up, but if they are buried, it wont always open, and you wont notice until you either smell it, or your fish go belly up.

If you want something to help with water quality, spend some money and upgrade to a planted setup, or get another filter. Get some purigen. Upgrade your filter media. Clams are not a good fit for this purpose.

If you want to keep a mellow invertebrate that is a good conversation piece and also works in coldwater tanks, requires a little extra care, and helps keep the substrate stirred up a bit, but has the potential to cause a huge ammonia spike, get some clams.

I have found ebay to be the best place to get them FYI.

Hope this helps.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info! Now that my 20-gallon is mature (only a couple weeks from being a full year old), I've been thinking of getting a freshwater clam or two. Especially since I've rehomed my dojos and barbs into the 65, and all that's left in my 20 are some RCS, glofish, zebra danios and WC minnows. All very small creatures that shouldn't hurt the clams.

Where do you purchase the food you give them? I think you said it was marine phytoplankton ... And would administering with a syringe ensure they get some?

Next step is finding an LFS that sells them. Or that will special order them for me. Just one or two in the 20. I don't wish to overstock...

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

Awards Showcase

Good luck with the community tank!  You WILL post pics when it's up and running!  Welcome to AC BTW - Mith for ur tank ! welcome to AC ! - Neon im not a good hug'er - rookie Grats on the fry! - Northernguy To go with your beer!  Thanks for the help! - dragoonwoman 
    Thanks for playing Mafia! - Agassizii Happy Holidays - Northernguy Hey!  I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!! - Mith Welcome to AC. - Brookfish For your pancake bunny - Cliff 
    aww thanks LOL  (Mith welling up with tears) LOL - Mith For all your help and patience!!!!! - fish00053 That was the greatist thing ever - Pele A new cory for your 10 gallon - Cliff For the  help - Rue 
    Dude that's the funniest signature I've seen on this site. Have a beer. - harpua2002 A piece of cake to thank everybody that posted in my anniversary thread for their kind words. - gadget228 For getting too close to pleco's breeding rabbits. - gadget228 Awesome sig, make me chuckle :) - FinalJenemba Merry Xmas! Hope U have a good one! Thanks for all the DIY help! :) - Mrs.JayMay23 

0 Not allowed!
    As far as the food goes, I just got some at a LFS. I'll check the brand when I get home. I would check ebay for the clams. Never had a problem with it. I'll look up a link when I get home, ebay is blocked at work.
    Who is "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard drive?

0 Not allowed!
    Can you feed clams zooplankton as well as phytoplankton? Or are they strictly vegans?
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone ???

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. I never knew u could get in trouble for taking river clams. I used to take all sorts of stuff from the river. My whole tank once was stuff i got from river. Crayfish, minnows, some kind of plant, and some mud-filled (i thought they were alive but nope, just mud) clamshells. Maybe thats why everything died... They dead clams. Nevermind, i dont want them. Thanks alot for answering all of my questions Scrup. You are very informative. I would have made a huge mistake buying those.

P.S. Curious, what happens to tank if you use the wild clams? Do they bring some kind of diseases or something? I see your answers have helped many people about some of these same questions.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I kept quite a few fw pa creek clams for years. My daughter "stocked" them in our 20 gal years ago. She put in maybe 20 quarter sized ones she picked while camping one year. When I tore that tank down there were about 5 of them still alive. I fed them nothing,probably explains why I had only 5 left! I also never once saw them in the 5 yrs that tank was operating. That fish place that pet place in lancaster pa sells them for 2 to 3 bucks each if memory serves me.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I added some clams to my freshwater tank. They burrowed into the gravel and I never saw them again until I moved a year later. I would say just pass on them.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That Fish Place sells them? Hmmm. I knew they had to have them in there somewhere. They have almost everything. O well. I dont want them anymore.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything