· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question How big? How fast?

0 Not allowed!
    Ill bold the questions for easy spotting within my rambling explanations. Everywhere i read i get a different estimate of what size my rubber-nose pleco's supposed to get. Right now hes about 2 1/2 inches already. I only bought him last week and he was only 2 inches then. If i am feeding him every night with algae wafers (that im not sure if he eats because my fish flock to it as well...) and my tank has plenty of algae for my four snails, pleco, and shrimps (that are meant fr food and are only temporary algae eaters XD) to eat, am i feeding him too much and making him grow faster? Could he be growing because he was sold from a 10 gallon tank with 10 other 1 1/2-2 inch rubber-nose plecos in the fish store and is now only pleco in 40 gallon tank? Is my tank overstocked for him to keep growing? Only fish that actually swim and take up swim room is 3 1.5inch baby mollies, 5 1.5-2inch bloodfin tetras, 1 1inch black tetra, one 2.5inch bleeding heart tetra, one 1.5inch blue guppy, 2 2inch danios, 1 3inch gold gourami, 1 1.5inch dwarf gourami, and a 8inch comet goldfish. Wow that looks like alot of fish. Other fish (2 4inch loaches, 4 1-2inch snails) dont swim so they dont really count do they? I test my water regularly, and everything checks out, i use special chemicals to make tap water safe. I recently had to medicate the tank (right before i bought him and for three days afterwards) and then had to do a 50% water change to end treatment. I hear water changes make plecos grow. Is that true?
    According to all these conditions, the most important question here is:
    How big will my pleco actually get, and how fast will he grow?
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Here is some info on your rubbernose pleco from this forum,

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/rubbernose.php

Looks like they hit about 5-6 inches in length.
    Just for the sake of it though, a larger tank usually means the fish will grow to it's capacity due to the room and of course the quantity of food.

And just as a side note, just because it doesn't swim doesn't mean it doesn't count. Every living thing has a bio-load. Keep up the water changes and the maintenance and your tank will be better able to stay a healthy one.
    Sounds like your having fun.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Now hopefully that one is the correct one lol. Somewhere said 17 inches!!! O.O The fish store said 5-6 like u did, but they also said my previous betta wouldnt kill my danios either, and that was a fail. :( And thanks for clarfying that with the snails and stuff. Ive had some people say non swimming things dont count! I should start just doing my questions on fish sites like here instead of asking people on foopets. XD
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Any time ekfishlover2011. There is a ton of great info on this site (sometime it's hard to find). And the members here will not let a question go unanswered. Did you google rubbernose pleco pictures to see if yours matches what the pictures look like. There are alot of different kinds of pleco's and only a few stay under the 12 inch mark. If you have a few minutes try and see if you can compare your pleco to a picture. There are some great pleco AKA catfish sites with a ton of pictures.

0 Not allowed!
    Pleco's are packed into small tanks in fish stores because they are only there for a few days. Not because the tank is fine for them. Pleco's grow fast.

But what's up with the goldfish in the same tank as warm water fish? Goldfish need cooler temps than tropicals. You also are listing several "schooling" fish but only have one of them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    he looks like some of the ones labeled "rubbernose" or "bulldog" on google. Some of these look like completely different fish... The first one im getting does not look like him at all. But 3rd 4th 8th 15th 17th... Those are him. :)
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Pleco's are packed into small tanks in fish stores because they are only there for a few days. Not because the tank is fine for them. Pleco's grow fast.

But what's up with the goldfish in the same tank as warm water fish? Goldfish need cooler temps than tropicals. You also are listing several "schooling" fish but only have one of them.
    Yea i kno he cant be in a 10 gallon im just wondering if the big change made him grow. And my goldfish has always been with tropical, i have only recently heard they are coldwater. I got him from a neighbor 2 years ago. Came with the tank. :) And the schoolers that lack schools, i didnt know originally what the black neon was because i got him from same neighbor and they had him alone, along with my leader of bloodfins,and 5 danios which over time depleted to two (helped by a fish helper at the store saying "yea, you can keep a single male betta with other fish!" Liar. That betta died because i was a noobie). The local fish store i go to doesnt sell danios or black neons, so once i learned what they were, i couldnt get them schools. And the Bleeding Hearts i was told werent schoolers when i bought them in february, but i had bought three, one of which died in 2 weeks due to some disease, and another died two days ago due to something that i took him to the store and asked what to buy and nobody knew the problem. :( Its ok though, Bloodfin lets everybody who wants in his school in it. My guppy joined it too. All tetras (except heart), guppy, and Danio are one giant school. The bleeding heart i think is mourning his friend, and stays secluded away from others, though he doesnt show any of his partners symptoms, so im sure hes ok and maybe after a few more days he'll move on and join school as well. Poor Bloodfins getting old though. I dont know how old tetras are supposed to live, but hes 2.5+ years and starting to look old. Im not actually sure how to tell age of fish by looks, but he just looks... Different. Slightly frayed and duller past month, It might soon be time for a new leader to step up to plate, he might be becoming a senior fish. :(
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    There are alot of different kinds of plecos which is why alot of them actually have a number not just a name.

Here is a cut and paste on the rubbernose or Bulldog pleco.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Chaetostoma is a genus of freshwater loricariid catfish, of the family Loricariidae, the armored suckermouth catfishes. A genus with many undescribed species, mixed groups or individual members may be labeled for sale as “Chaetostoma spp.”, or “Chaetostoma sp.” meaning, “this is a species of Chaetostoma, but we don’t know which.” The fish illustrated in this profile is usually identified as Chaetostoma thomsoni, or Chaetostoma cf. thomsoni, indicating its formal identification as “thomsoni” is under review. At this time, material has come forward to suggest that the specific name of thomsoni may not apply to this species at all! Also known as L187b, some common names for C. cf. thomsoni are bulldog pleco, rubbernose pleco, green rubber pleco, rubberlip pleco, and variations of those terms. Sometimes the word "striped" is added to the common name.

Species of Chaetostoma are collected from many freshwater mountain streams and tributaries of the Rio Magdalena river system in Colombia, South America, on the western slopes of the Andes Mountains. The species that finds its way into the hobby most frequently is very possibly collected from as far away as the fast-flowing mountain stream beds on the eastern slopes of the Andes Mountains, in the area known as the Llanos drainages.

Despite its small adult size, this catfish has the widest mouth of any of the loricariids! Juveniles offered for sale are quite small, but vigorous. The adults are impressive, with black dots on their faces and a black line articulating each overlapping bony plate of armor on the body. At night, in my community tank of white sand, the little bulldog pleco adopts camouflage, and will turn almost white to match the sand.

Chaetostoma cf. thomsoni appreciates clean, highly oxygenated water, which can usually be provided with regular water changes and a swift return flow from your filter. Some hobbyists add a powerhead at one end of the tank, but too many attachments can heat up the water. Remember to keep the water in the cooler tropical temperature range for this species. I provide an open topped set-up, and HOB filter with a splashy return, which helps to keep things cool.

My tap water is very soft, and white marine sand substrate, as mentioned above, is my choice for adding a few degrees of hardness and keeping the pH near neutral. If you already have slightly hard water, and your pH stays in the suggested range of 6.8 to 7.8, look into fine substrates that won’t elevate the hardness further. The cooler water temperature is more important than a specific hardness or pH.

The bulldog pleco spends a lot of time exploring the glass for food, but ultimately it is a bottom dweller, too, and appreciates a very fine substrate to scoot around on. I use lots of smooth rocks over the sand, in a well-planted tank, and I often see mine bustling through the sand or on the rocks, resting. Even though this species stays small, I would recommend a tank volume of no less than 60 liters, and tank dimensions of no shorter than 60 cm long. When their simple requirements are met, Chaetostoma cf. thomsoni are remarkably easy to keep, despite their exotic appearance.

This small suckermouth species can be territorial with its own kind and other small pleco-type catfish, thus the name “bulldog.” It is not shy about approaching food, and will scatter its tankmates with bold movements. It is peaceful, but not timid. I keep only one C. cf. thomsoni per tank, but in larger tanks you could keep more. Provide each fish with a choice of smooth rocks, and arrange discrete areas to satisfy their territorial needs.

This fish is a good glass cleaner, and loves algae of the type that forms a film on the glass and other tank surfaces. It will eat most other typical aquarium foods, even flake, but do not make this their main diet. Fresh veggies, such as zucchini, seem to be appreciated. Frozen bloodworms, and other meaty foods, should be offered about once a week, as their protein requirements need to be met. They are true omnivores, and quick to identify delicious food in the tank!

I learned a lot from my first Chaetostoma. Within minutes of adding one to a 75 liter South American community tank, the tank dynamics changed. The Chaetostoma rousted the Otocinclus from their room behind a piece of slate - where they had been living for the last 2 1/2 years - and moved himself in. There was no question about who was the boss, and the Otos went off to set up house in a different part of the tank. Peace reigned, and there were no problems between the two species. They even shared a zucchini slice, with the Chaetostoma on top and the Otocinclus circling the rim. Every time the Otos came around, the Chaetostoma would lift his tail to let them pass! Territorial but peaceful; assertive but reasonable - that describes Chaetostoma cf. thomsoni, the bulldog pleco!

Contributed by Deborah Claro Childress

Lady Hobbs bring up some valid points ekfishlover2011. Goldfish like cool water while tropical fish thrive in warmer water.

Pleco's like a 76-80 degree temp. while goldies like a 55-65 degree tank. Something to think about.

Does your pleco look like this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you guys for concern about Petri the Goldfish. If i ever get goldfish again in the future, highly unlikely because im not really a big goldfish fan, im just attached to Petri because ive had him so long, i will put in a different tank then, but hes always been in the tropical 76-78 degree tank the rest of fishies are in and since hes so old i think ill have to keep it that way because i think hes linda used to it by now. Heres the ones that the scientific name there brought up that look exactly like Steve. Hes the beige when on bottom and the dark brown on back glass or under his house, and his face looks wierd like this.
    bottom.jpg top.jpg
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    which might be the same as the one u show, but its hard to tell from that angle since mine is always flat on some surface so i dont see him that angle. XD
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything