· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default labnjabs 29 gallon low-tech planted

0 Not allowed!
    We would like to free up some space in our living room and our 55 gallon is over run with java moss and just looks horrible, so we've decided to down size it to a 29 gallon and try our hand at a low tech planted tank. We are going with a good substrate, the occasional ferts and without co2. We have been very successful with our reef and want to try our hand at plants now. Actually, the money from the last batch of coral frags we've sold will be paying for everything. If all goes well I hope to have it running by this weekend.

Lighting will be a 2x24 watt odyssea t-5 fixture with 6500K bulbs which should be here by the weekend.

Filtration will be 2 aqueon 30 hob filters seeded with as much media as we can fit from our 55 gallon

For substrate were either going with a layer of eco-complete or flourite with a thin layer of black sand on top

Stocking will be the current inhabitants from the 55 gallon which includes 1 angel fish, 10 corries, 3 serpa tetras (will add 3 more) and a German blue ram.

We will be using a jagar 100 watt heater

I haven't decided on what we will stock for plants. I'm gonna try to save what I can from the 55, but don't want any java moss, lol. I know I can save some anarchis, annubis, jungle vals, and possibly some crypts. Our petco actually has a decent selection of potted plants for really cheap so that will be my 1st stop for plants. I'll have my android with me to google all the names to see if they will work with our set-up, lol

Some far we just have the stand, heater, filter and the sand. The light should be here the end of the week and we will be picking up the tank and rest of the substrate this weekend.

I will keep you updated and have pictures as soon as we have something to show

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    The light came in today I ordered it Monday night and I didn't expect it until this Monday. I will probably be upgrading the bulbs at some point to UVL but the stock ones will be good for now.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Good call on replacing the bulbs, Odyssea bulbs are junk Looking forward to pics...
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Might have some pics tomorrow night, we may pick up the tank then instead of Saturday.

Who makes a good 6500k bulb? It looks like UVL only has reef spectrum bulbs and not any for plants

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Giesemann Midday is a great spectrum, GE 6500K is another high quality bulb for plants with a lot of par.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. I may be able to get the GE bulbs from home depot. I'll check it out tonight.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Here's an update

We couldn't find the bulbs or substrate locally so I ordered them online last night. This is going to set us back to early next week before we set it up but that's ok.

I ended up ordering 20 lbs of eco-complete and 2 GE 24 watt 6500K bulbs, all for $30 shipped thanks to an Amazon.com gift card

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Still waiting on the substrate. It may be here Friday, but it may be start of next week. We did pick up the tank this week, only $29 for a brand new one at petco's dollar per gallon sale.

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    What do you think of laying a few marimo mossballs onto the surface of your substrate? As you probably know, I'm a big fan of those. They look cool, and require no maintenance. They'll also accept lower light. They occasionally need to be moved around, but the fish often do that for you, or you can do it during water changes/gravel vacs.

I think they add visual richness to a tank.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    What do you think of laying a few marimo mossballs onto the surface of your substrate? As you probably know, I'm a big fan of those. They look cool, and require no maintenance. They'll also accept lower light. They occasionally need to be moved around, but the fish often do that for you, or you can do it during water changes/gravel vacs.

I think they add visual richness to a tank.

-- mermaidwannabe
    have to agree on the moss balls.. something cool about those.

waiting on a few to arrive myself for my tank to add along the front of it so hopefully my new shirmp (on route) can enjoy them.