· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Question Not Eating Algae!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Everyone!

I have, what I believe to be a Hypostomus plecostomus aka. "Trinidad Pleco".
    I am not certain of the species, but the little guy/girl is mostly brown.

The first day I got it, it cleaned up all the algae in the tank. I noticed the particular algae growing in my tank was a bit bright, for algae (imo), but the fish did it's job. However, now, there is more algae than before, as it seems the plecos is avoiding one particular area. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be? The algae is still super green, and I have wondered if a particular plant kept the fish at a distance for some reason or another, if any of this helps?

I'd be open to any suggestions! Thanks for the time!

-Igots
    Fishy

Fishy

Fishy

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If the algea is coming on strong and fast it is most likely that he/she ate too much and is now too full to eat. So see if the belly is larger then before. Also you did not mention size but i know some species will only eat algea at a young age and then enjoys other foods like blood worms,zuchinis and cucumbers. just two possibilities that popped into my head.
    55 Gallon Community
    40 Breeder Peacock cichlid Grow Out
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    2.5 gallon cylinder Crayfish tank
    1 gallon empty

0 Not allowed!
    Algae eaters don't always eat all algaes either. Bright green algae could be an algae you don't want him to eat, if it's cyano algae. Slimy, spreads on everything but is actually a bacteria and will make your fish ill or kill him.

You need to figure out what it is and not count on a pleco doing all the work. I have no pleco's and never have. I clean the algae myself. But if it is cyano, you need to do more water changes, larger water changes and clean more often.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If it is eating other algae but leaving one area, it is likely the algae is the blue green menace. If you remove some and sniff it, it will have a super strong 'algae' odor. It often takes hold in a tank with a nutrient imbalance and I have found that the best way to control it in my tank is to add a balanced mineral suppliment like Equilibrium.
    Controlling algae by pleco eating can generate a cycle of increasing growth, the fish digests it only to release the nutrients the algae contained which in turn stimulates more growth.

Lightbulb Interesting Thoughts!

0 Not allowed!
    I have great water, as far as I can tell, BUT I have noticed an alkaline deficiency from time to time and I am not sure what to do about it, as everything else is in perameters. I am new to this, afterall!

I do wonder what kind of "algae" this is. I routinely clean the tank with a gravel cleaner and change the water 20%-40%, but have left the algae to the animals. Any suggestions as to how to clean the algae without too much disruption?

Fishy

Fishy

Fishy

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher 
    It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    If its cyano, you should be able to suck it up in sheets/clumps with your gravel vac.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Or of course, u could use a magna float thing. It has two pieces that are connected by strong magnets. The scrubby side goes in the water and the soft side goes outside. Then u simply scrub the algae off by moving the outside piece over it while the inside piece is pulling magnetically and scrubbing it all away. Thats what i use, because my pleco hasnt eaten one drop of algae yet except the algae wafers. Sigh. My snails do a mediocre job tho, so its not too bad.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything