· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    Cosmo....I wanted to say how very sorry I am to hear about your brother! Such a terrible, shocking thing and I hope whoever did this and simply left is caught!
    Thank you Lady Hobbs. Fortunately, the detectives were quick on the scene and started investigating right away. The suspects turned themselves in right after they learned that the investigators were on their tail.

0 Not allowed!
    Now let's just hope our broken judicial system doesn't just turn them loose on some stupid "technicality" ... There's no excuse to hit and run like that. Cowardly!

My condolences, also.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    Now let's just hope our broken judicial system doesn't just turn them loose on some stupid "technicality" ... There's no excuse to hit and run like that. Cowardly!

My condolences, also.

-- mermaidwannabe
    Thank you. I couldn't agree more.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a few updates:

Last weekend, I happened to be near a Petsmart, so I stopped in to pick up a few small things. I walked by the filters and I noticed that they were having the Penguin 350 Biowheels for $39 if you have a petsperks card, which I do. I instantly grabbed it - After all, I planned on picking up another one for the other side of the tank.

I also decided to upgrade my lighting system. I picked up a T5 system, along with new glass tops. Needless to say, it was a tough drive back home (50 minutes or so) to get these new toys setup. The lighting has made a huge difference! Stock T8 lighting is nothing compared to this - I can't wait to watch these plants grow like crazy.

I also picked up some small anubias, a new bottle of prime, and some API Leaf Zone.

Arriving tuesday will be some plants i ordered online. I ordered:

Cryptocoryne wendtii v. "tropica" x1
    Echinodorus Barthii v. "red melon" x1
    Baby Tears (Dwarf) 3"x5" mat x1

Eventually I may end up setting up a CO2 system - But I'm just going to see how things go without it for right now.

Also this week - I picked up 2 more otto cats, which brings that number to 4, along with 4 ghost shrimp. These shrimp are cool to watch - I just wish they would come out into the open more. They have found a nice hiding spot in the back of the aquarium - Probably behind the large amazon sword, and that's where they hide until I turn off the lights. I also picked up an interesting piece of driftwood to go on the right side of the tank. I'll take pictures once I place it in - It's currently bathing in a bucket of water, and will be doing so for the next few days.

With the new lighting - Of course I developed an algae issue. It's a combo of high lighting and excess nutrients from the Leaf Zone. I did a 20% water change on Thursday, which helped - and then 50% today, which really nearly eliminated the issue. Things should clear up over the next few days. I wish I could isolate the black molly and not feed her - Perhaps she would then get hungry enough to chow on some floating algae.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I placed the new driftwood in the tank today. The plants did not come as I expected. I have yet to hear from the company, but their policy is that they do not do partial shipments, and it looks as though one of the plants I ordered is noted as "out of stock" on their site. Perhaps they pulled the last one for me :).

I'm still battling a floating algae bloom - It's getting better though. I also released the black molly fry into the tank - they are getting big enough not to be a snack, or so I hope. I left the guppy and "other" fry in the breeder net. I say other, because I"m still not sure at this point what they are. Only time will tell, as they get bigger.

I will have new pictures soon - I'm just waiting for this green to go away!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just when I was thinking about contacting the plant company and explaining how disappointed I've been with the service - I received a shipping notification last night and my plants arrived today.

I had to substitute Glossostigma for the Dwarf Baby Tears, since they were out of stock. It really was a toss up for me, I could have gone with either.

I'm still dealing with some green water - It must be due to the lighting. I'm trying to make sure I keep the light on for only 8 hours, and doing 20-30% water changes when possible.
    "Life is not about the length, but the depth"
    55g - Planted Community
    30g - Blood Parrot Cichlid, Giant Danios, Dwarf Gourami
    10g - Breeder/Quarantine

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Still fighting Green Water - Here are some pictures of the current tank:

Here's the full tank

Here's a close up of the right side
    55g - Planted Community
    10g - Breeder/Quarantine

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's the left. New crypto and some sort of Sword. The owner of the LFS wasn't sure what it was exactly, he doesnt remember getting it, haha.

And the left side - I'm trying to create a jungle on this side. Eventually I will move some of these Anacharis and replace it with Jungle Vals (when they are not on back order anyways, ugh)
    55g - Planted Community
    10g - Breeder/Quarantine

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awww I hope your aglae goes away soon....I wanna see the tank! From what I can see it looks cool!
    Everyone is a genius,
    but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid
    ~Albert Einstein

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WaMiss
    Awww I hope your aglae goes away soon....I wanna see the tank! From what I can see it looks cool!
    Me too! and thank you!

I haven't seen the back of the aquarium in ages - From what I can tell, my large Amazon Sword in the middle is growing fuller by the day, there may even be a new runner sprouted; I just cant see it :(.

And,

I found another baby snail today. That makes two that I've found over the last week. Something has been munching on the anacharis, I'm sure it's these snails.
    55g - Planted Community
    10g - Breeder/Quarantine