· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

Default The benefits of using a QT tank

0 Not allowed!
    Just a little over two weeks ago, we bought a copperband butterfly fish for our 120 gallon reef tank. My wife and I watched him carefully over a few visits at our SW LFS. He was in the store for over a week. The fish had great coloring, was heating like a hourse, and behaving normally. As the store uses copper and anti-parasitic meds (paraguard I believe) in their fish tanks, I didnt see us having any problems at all.

But out of habit, I set-up and placed him in our 20 gallon QT tank just as I usally do.

Thank goodness I did

Only after 4 or 5 days of being in the QT tank, he started flashing and then my wife noticed signs of parasites. She treated him with paraguard and he did seam to get better for a day or two, but he then stopped eating and went down-hill really really fast. I just found out tonight we ended up losing him.

Im really glad I did not just add him to the main tank. I could have lost all my fish and have to wait a really long time before adding any other fish. Whether its my fresh water or salt water tanks, I dont think I will ever add a fish without QTing first. This experience just reaffirms that for me.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice babies - Lady Hobbs   you need a school of these!lol - Northernguy   We sound like Bevis and Butt head! - Lady Hobbs   for checking out my profile - geminidragn   Hope it helps! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    Same here, I never just add a fish to my main tank. I am religious with QT new fish, unless it is a newly setup tank and they are the first fish in the tank. Thank god you did QT could have been a lot worse, and a lot more expensive.

my two favorites in my life.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed one! - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    thank you for sharing, Cliff. I just bought a small tank to use for QT. I'm a pretty impatient person, and normally wouldn't bother with things like that. But stories like yours remind me that taking the time to do things properly always pays off.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Guys

I know Smaug has resently shared a few simular experiances as well which have really reminded me of the improtance of use a QT tank. I can be really impatient as well so it good to remind myself from time to time why it is improtant, or I will be too temped to skip it.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Nice babies - Lady Hobbs   you need a school of these!lol - Northernguy   We sound like Bevis and Butt head! - Lady Hobbs   for checking out my profile - geminidragn   Hope it helps! - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    I get really impatient too, Like if I don't add the fish right away I die inside but I just fight the erge. HAHAHA. Sorry about your fish BTW.

my two favorites in my life.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think I will break dlown and get a QT after hearing this and other stories in the past. Thanks.
    55 Gallon Community
    40 Breeder Peacock cichlid Grow Out
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    2.5 gallon cylinder Crayfish tank
    1 gallon empty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I got myself a QT after bringing home a fish that infested my tank with ick - couldn't add anymore fish for quite some time because I first had to cycle a filter for the tank which took time. Quarantining is good not only to watch for disease, but it gives the new fish time to settle in and start to eat well. That must have been difficult watching a fish go downhill so quickly - it's true, you can't tell what a fish might be carrying that can show up once it's moved and stressed out.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I am so getting a qt tank as soon as I can.
    "There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries."- William Shakespeare

29 gallon planted community tank. 1 german blue ram, 1 bolivian ram, 1 angelfish,1 rainbow shark, 3 different cory cats (a julii a panda and an emerald), 1 moonlight gourami and 1 Apistogramma cacatuoides double red version

20 gallon planted South American river tank.currently in the process of cycling!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you lost your new fish, Cliff. But yes, quarantine will save so many from ICK. And if you need to treat for Maracyn, the cost alone is well worth it. Treating 10 gallons is far cheaper than treating 50 gallons.

Good post and very helpful.

My fish all get treated with PaziPro in the qt tank before they ever go in my big tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs   Have a beer on me - sailor   Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75   happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes   Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey   Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey   

0 Not allowed!
    I can never see enough of these threads. Q! Q! Q! Always! Most of us found out the hard way so learn from our misfortune. lol

It always stinks to lose a fish, but thats losing a fish the right way.. not losing the rest of the tank with it.