· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEDs and SPS

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    no problem :)
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    No personal experience, but one of the guys at my LFS got a LED fixture for his 120 reef, and after about a month, developed "buyer's remorse." lol He paid close to $2k for them if not slightly more, and they really were no better than the T5's he had before. The LED technology for reefs is still relatively new and thus still quite expensive and hasn't had all the bugs worked out. I personally wouldn't touch them yet. That's just me though.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    That's a good point Goldbarb, it still is really new technology resulting in more $$$.

I likely won't be in a position to give this much serious consideration until a few months into the new year. I guess I will have to see if there has been any price movements at that time.

I'm mostly just reseaching now so when I do have the money at least I will have either ruled them out or picked out a fixture by then.

But 2K, Ouch. The one fixture I was looking in our SW LFS was about 1/2 of that before all of my store credit that I have there. I don't think I paid even close to 2K for my whole set-up (bought a lot of used equipment tho)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    2k seems like a price youd pay for a "top of the line pos" oddly enough people get dooped into these more expensive items thinking they get what they pay for when sometimes they dont. even tho leds are a newer than t5s im sure they can support corals, specialy if you take into considerations of using the blue leds with white ones, also the store bought models refuse to use cree leds which are the highest, at least i didnt see any using them. most people think leds are leds and i wouldnt be surprised if some of the leds using blues lights are just using a blue filter to make it look blue. of course this is completely bad lol
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    I have DIY cree leds on my 10 gallon. Its got mostly softies, but I do have a few sps in it, and all are doing great even on the sandbed. A LFS is selling led fixtures equivalent to a 250 watt metal halide for around $400 a fixture. He set up a 75 gallon half with the led fixture and half with the 250 watt halide and it was hard to tell the difference. Here's the thread with the 2 pictures http://www.nhreefclub.org/index.php?topic=4341.0

I plan to one day switch the 2x250 watt metal halides on our sps dominant 75 gallon to led

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    finally some one with experience :P
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex
    yeah tell me about it lol. im working on my 55g's leds system. im seeing like 30 bucks for everything :P. i dont know the requirements for corals and lights but i think ive read they need the blue lights, if you can give me some ideas on what color temps you are using im sure we can find the right leds :P
    Out of my own curiosity how in gods name are you planning on only spending 30 bucks? Haha not that I doubt you I'm just curious because a ballast for LED's is usually double that plus reflectors and the actual LEDs. It just seems outta whack to me that you're only gonna be spending 30 bucks to build an equivalently safe and strong system as a $300 one... just my own curiosity cuz if it is legit then I'm definitely gonna be right behind you on this one haha

Personally from watching comparison vids (from Mr.Saltwatertank.com) you can't tell a difference, they aren't better or worse, just have different pros and cons.

Pros: Small, Efficient, Cool, Bright
    Cons: EXPENSIVE (prefab), ever-evolving... so what you do tomorrow may be way out-dated in a couple months

I think the evolving part is the worst, some come in modules so if you're going prefab I'd make sure you have one which is modular since that'll allow you to swap things out

However I don't think that the power consumption difference would be enough to notice seeing how lighting is the least of the worries usually the pumps are the biggest power consumers. So I'd say if you're going from T5 to LED's b/c of the power consumption then I wouldn't since it won't be a huge difference
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

9. Default

0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff, I use furniture-style stands, and more importantly, matching caps. That's what I use to block the line of sight of the light fixtures. No overheating, since heat rises.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go