· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Arrgghhhh, my rockworks annoying me! ideas please :)

0 Not allowed!
    I started my new tank without adequate lighting. I was running lighting over half the tank and arranged the rock so I could have corals under it.

Now I'm running a second unit and the whole tank is light well.

I've added some more rock and quite a few corals but get the feeling looking at the tank it looks much more like "a big pile of rock" than it does an attractive looking thought out reef tank.

I've decided to start the scape again from square one!!!!!

Now, I've got the plan in place for how I'm going to deal with it.

Rocks coming out one piece at a time and corals will be removed into a holding bucket (with heater) while I make the arrangement.

fish and shrimp will pretty much stay in the tank I think. I'm working to the idea that trying to catch them will prob cause more stress than moving them out of the way to place rockwork.

I've got no issues about moving up to half the rock into the sump if need be to make a more open scape.

What I want is something thats quite open so I can reduce the amount of places for detrius build up. I want some height for putting my SPS up high and into an area of higher flow than at the bottom. I'm needing quite a large open area of sand so I can place my leather coral and allow it to fully open (about 12"+).

I was thinking maybe a small wall along the back (give places for shrimp to hide and also fish to go into at night) then 2 large "towers" of rock, maybe bridged with an arch. These would be coming right from the sand bed in the center of the tank with the left hand tower sitting half way up the tank (12") and the right hand tower sitting 3/4 of the way up (18").

The left would be a good place for my LPS corals, the right could home all my SPS and my softies could then live on the reef along the back and some placed on the sand bed.

I've picked up some glass fiber rods which I'm going to drill the rock and will order some epo putty and get some large tie wraps (to hold rock inplace while putty cures).

Have you guys any suggestions on the layout of the rockwork or have some pictures you can post for ideas?

Thanks, chris
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not a saltwater person but I found this link.
    http://h2oplusomething.com/index.php...ping&Itemid=64
    There are pictures of ideas that may help
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    The harley man......no not the motorcycle, harlequin rasboras
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for that bud, will have a sit down and good read of that later :)
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, the quest for the prefect rock arrangment. I'm always looking at my tank and thinking of how I want to change it.

The tower idea (IMO) is pretty good. You can build a frame like you mentioned to make it stable. You can also use large plastic tie-wraps to hold the rocks to the frames (as you can't use silicone like I did). I used a frame like that I made from PVC in my 90 gallon and I really like it. I wish I had left mroe space on the top to place large flat rocks on top of the towers to make a even larger surface area near the top for more SPS

Just be careful when taking your rocks out of the water and exposing them to the air. You will get a very small die-off on the rock. If your rocks are out of the water for a long period of time, you could get some ammonia in the water when you put them back in.

Here's a few links to give you more ideas for coral placement

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=78
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]