Ammo 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0.2 ppm
    Phos <0.03 Assuming to be 0 or close to
    mag 1380
    Calc 440
    ph 8.2
    Alk 5.2

Did a 5% WC straight after, was gonna do 10% but ran out of SW in my water butt and got a call from a friend to help move a piano so couldn't collect any NSW today :(

I'm delighted with most of the params, my rock, DSB and algae scrubber really do seem to be doing a cracking job on the bio side of things.

My only concern at this point is the Alk, need to read into this alot more as I know (or have heard) to aim for 8ish but have heard of peoples tanks sitting below 5 happly. Would rather have a happy stable 5.odds that trying to boost it and have it fluctuating me thinks.

What you guys reckon?

Thanks, chris
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    pretty much perfect eh...

I kinda lean that way too - I've heard the latest reef fad in europe is low alk tanks. But supposedly without proper levels of alk, the corals can't take in what they need.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    That's kind of odd. Are your parameters stable at those levels or do they change thoughout the week ?

As dKH in the sea is around 7 dKH and Cal around 410ppm, I'm guessing your corals are consuming the dKH at a faster rate than Cal (which I beleave is normal for most corals). As your dKH drops your Cal will rise which explains your current readings. As your tank is only 4 or 5 months old and still establishing itself a little, this could also be causing some of this as well but I'm not 100% sure of that. Keep a close eye on your PH and you can also get changes in your PH levels when this happens

If the sea water that you are using is in fact around 7 dKH, then I would suggest start supplimenting the tank.

IMO, If you do start adding dKH to your tank, just remember not to use the recommend dosing levels listed on the bottle. I suggest to work it out into a daily dosing level then start off at 1/8 of that each day and watch carefuly to see the results. Starting off with a smaller amount and increasing over a longer period of time will help keep things stable
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'm gonna do a check today at the same time and then I'm going to check my NSW thats in my water butt to check where abouts it is.

I'll be honest here, I never had an alk test till yesterday

I've been reading and it looks like NSW tanks, at least here in the UK tend to be a little low in Alk anyway. The test on my water butt should confirm or disprove this.

I'm slowly but surely coming round to the idea I may have to dose alk sooner rather than later though :(

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    ah!!!!!!

Did another 2 tests on the tank. Got 4.9 and 4.8 :(

Did one on the NSW in the water butt.... 6.7.

So there you have it, it certainly looks like my alkalinity is dropping slowly.

I've got some bicarbonate and have used a calculator to work out how much I should use to aim for certain levels.

I put down that I would want to raise it to 7 and it said 38g of bicarb.... yikers... petrifys me lol

I've decided to add a few teaspoons at a time to my topoff water and keep track daily where my alk is. once I see it starting to increase I'll stop putting it in. I'll keep a record of all measurements of alk, how much I'm putting in and work out a regiem for dosing to get to (slowly) 7 or 8 then maintain.

My RO topoff capacity is about 25-30lt so I can dilute and dose as required in there :)

0 Not allowed!
    did a test this morning.

Reading was 5.4

Now on the salifert kit the difference between 5.1 and 5.4 is about a drop so its very hard to say that there is a diffinate positive increase from the first test however because my second test (yesterday) had dropped further still I can say for sure I am on the rise.

From doing all my reading most people would advise raising no more than 1 a day. I've raised aprox 0.5 so I'm going to keep going with the amount of bicarb currently in the topup water then once I hit the around 8 will work out a good mix to maintain.

Heres hoping this is one easy fix!!!

Chris

0 Not allowed!
    checked params just before bed last night, was up to 6.0

came in from work just now and noticed everything was looking healthier, leather looked nice, shrooms and ricordeas looked bigger.... frogspawn and torches looked bigger too..... Polyps on the SPS looking really really good :)

WOW, I cannot believe how much better my corals look already.

I was worried my hysterix was on the verge of kicking up its heals, I've not really seen any colour or polyps since introducing it.... Can see them today woop!

Checked my Alk and I'm at 6.7.

Maybe a slightly quicker raise than I'd wanted by still less than 1 full point in 24hrs.... The visual signs are all telling me its ok though!!!

I'm going to see where I'm at this time tomorrow and if i'm in the 7.5 area I'll leave it another day before watering down the mix in the RO chamber and start striving for a balanced mix (tank using the amount I'm dosing).

Since I'm feeling more confident about the health of the tank than I have for a long time I've started early prep for the move!

I've pulled a few of the large pieces of pulsing xenia off the rockwork and attached them with bands to small rocks. I've laid these on the sand bed and will give them the time to recover.

Depending whether or not my 2 packs of epo putty arrive by the weekend will make the decision about when the rescapes gonna be done.
    This is my weekend not to have my daughter so sat would be a good day for me to dedicate to the tank. If not this weekend it will be next month sometime.

Thanks for reading and advice guys :)

0 Not allowed!
    Good to hear things are working out for you

You know, The best way to explain how much better your corals look is to do ti with pics
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Good to hear things are working out for you

You know, The best way to explain how much better your corals look is to do ti with pics
    ok cliff.....

Runs off to get camera!

0 Not allowed!