· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: fish safe clay?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

Default fish safe clay?

0 Not allowed!
    i want to make some caves and i want a 100% custom thing and i dont want to use pvc caves or just slate like that, i was thinking i could use some clay. and hopefuly its something i can bake in the oven. any ideas?

i just read fimo was a good brand. can any one confirm?
    Last edited by genocidex; 08-08-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,
    well i'm not exactly sure what brand you need to use when making your own but I do knoe that, when going buying them, make sure they are not glazed (there is somethimg in the glaze that is poisonus to fish

0 Not allowed!
    Fimo, Kato Polyclay, and Sculpey both work and are safe for aquariums.
    Maybe this cross post will help.
    http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...other-pvc-clay
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Some of us have been here before. ;-)
    I asked the same question in another forum, last year.
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...fish-safe.html

The basic issue for all the poly clays was the plasticizer. Up until a few years ago it was a petroleum product. Both Fimo and Sculpey have switched to non-toxic non-petroleum based components. The pores in both products, which could provide space for bacteria, are why neither product can be certified as food safe.

Since I haven't found a MSDS for Sculpey, lets contact the distributor.
    Oops, found one.
    http://www.****-blick.com/msds/DBH_32334.pdf
    Thank you for contacting Polyform Products Company. Our clays do not contain any toxins, heavy metals or copper. While Sculpey is non-toxic, we have not done any testing on it in aquariums. I would recommend visiting message boards and forums to find out what others have experienced. I have not heard of any problems, but I am not involved in the aquarium community. There are some glazes that can be applied to Sculpey to make it water resistant, but as these glazes area made by different companies, I am not sure of their effect on fish. Sculpey can be placed in water without a glaze, but over time a whitish film may develop on the surface. This film can be wiped off with a cloth. I am sorry I do not have additional information for you.

Then we'll move on to Fimo, for which there are online MSDS that lists no petroleum products. That's a good sign.
    Here is the 2004 MSDS
    http://www.georgeweil.com/fact_file/...ct%20_soft.pdf

Here is a 2010 MSDS
    http://cdn.dickblick.com/msds/DBH_332240000.pdf

Threads from The Plantedtank.net
    From 2009
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...pey-caves.html

Here is one from 2007
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-aquarium.html

Post #19 (2006) has used Fimo
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...no-tank-2.html

This site was helpful.
    http://www.polyclay.com/PolymerFAQ.htm

Here is another brand oven baking clay I didn't know about until a minute ago.
    Kato Polyclay
    http://www.vanaken.com/msds/MSDS%20Kato%20Polyclay.pdf

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    thanks dbosman so much thats great info and im reading up on all those links. never even thought to look for a msds for clays, only when im using chemicals lol. thanks a thousand times over XD
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    oh man reading up on your first link i found you copy and pasted it :( i thought i was special lol. but thanks so much for it any ways you have made me a happy man tonight !!!!!
    gotta love them bunnies!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh man, now I have to try this. :) What a great idea! I had always wondered about earthenware clays, but I'm afraid they might contain traces of metal or something that might harm my fish. Certain glazes are supposed to be food-safe (lead-free), so I always imagine they might do okay in the aquarium? But if FIMO and Sculpey work, well, problem solved! :)
    I know what I'm doing, in theory.
    Begun 06.2011 - 10 gallon
    3 Green Corydoras aeneus, 1 Gambusia affinis, Anubias barteri, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, Nymphoides aquatica, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Alternanthera reineckii "roseafolia", Echinodorus parviflorus "Tropica", Ludwigia Ovalis
    3 dogs, 3 cats, wild birds, lots of plants
    Begun 10.2011 - 3 gallon
    L. brasiliensis, H. leucocephala, 6 G. affinis, pond snails

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I do ceramics, so I would also like to know if ceramics can be put in aquarium.

0 Not allowed!
    Vases and other ceramics can be used in aquariams so don't know why not. I read clay has to be baked to be safe so I don't know. Aren't terra clay pots baked?