· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Stability vs. API Stress Zyme +

0 Not allowed!
    I am going to Petsmart today and need to know which product you have had success with. I have lost 3 fish already and I assume it is from New Tank Syndrome :( If anyone has an experience with Stability or Stress Zyme, let me know.

Also, are there any cheap test kits that test for both Ammonia and Nitrite? I can't find ANY that test for both that are in my low price range. Would it be enough to just test for one or the other?

*~Don't find fault. Find a remedy~*
    *~"Fish are friends...NOT FOOD" :) ~*
    *~When in doubt, do a water change!~*

R.I.P. Tigger

0 Not allowed!
    I did not like stress zyme at all. Stability is an excellent product.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFreak2012
    I am going to Petsmart today and need to know which product you have had success with. I have lost 3 fish already and I assume it is from New Tank Syndrome :( If anyone has an experience with Stability or Stress Zyme, let me know.

Also, are there any cheap test kits that test for both Ammonia and Nitrite? I can't find ANY that test for both that are in my low price range. Would it be enough to just test for one or the other?
    You can get the full liquid test kit online for around $10 to $15 cheaper (including shipping) than it will cost you at your local pet store. If you really can only afford one, take a water sample to the Pet Smart and see where you're at. If Ammonia is high, get an ammonia test kit. If Nitrites are high, get the nitrite test kit. If this is a new tank set up, you will eventually need to be testing for both as well as Nitrates.
    The cost of a good test kit ($25) will save you money on new fish and sleepless nights.

How long has this tank been set up with fish in it?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's been set up for one week exactly. Have lost 3 Danios, which is surprising because they are supposedly very hardy. Ive been doing 25-50% water changes daily as well.

R.I.P. Tigger

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with skip.

Please keep in mind, neither of the products you mention do the work for you or cycle your tank for you. They simple "aid" the fish to try to help them survive the cycling process.

You still need to test the water each day and change water if ammonia or nitrites get too high.

Are you using dechlorinator?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have been using Tetra Aqua Safe every time I do water changes. So yes. And I am just trying to help my remaining 2 fish survive if that's possible...

R.I.P. Tigger

0 Not allowed!
    +1 with Skip also - no matter what your budget, you really don't want to have to keep shelling out more money over and over to replace dead fish (even if you get them during sales!). Getting a liquid test kit is very economical because it contains MANY tests and includes the 3 most important tests. Without being able to test (with a reliable kit that is - test strips don't cut it), you will never know what the status of your water is during cycling.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

0 Not allowed!
    Fish cycling is a real pain. Take it from experience. I didn't lose many fish, but I suspect the gold fish were goners from day one. All my Platy and Otos made it, no visible damage.

But I was OCD obsessed with Ammonia, and the nasty trate twins for longer than I care to have been. Finally completed the cycle 2 weeks ago, about 1 week after swapping out my POS HOB power filter for a better one.

Stress Zyme+ was a product used and I think it helped. I also highly aerated the water during and after the cycle process.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When cycling with fish it is best to use prime as a dechlorinator. It converts ammonia and nitrite to a less toxic form for 24 hours, its also super concentrated and will last longer. I have never used either products you mentioned but I did have to use tetra safe start in an emergency and it seemed to work. With all bacteria in a bottle products be sure to check the date on the bottle. Those products may help your cycle along but they are not a quick fix. Be sure to keep changing the water daily until your cycle is done. If you are dosing with prime as a dechlorinator it will help make the cycle more comfortable for your fish. As someone above stated, if you can't afford a test kit then your lfs should be able to test your water for you. Do not waste your money on test strips, they are not accurate. Walmart.com has an api master test kit for a reasonable price and you can get free shipping to a store near you. It is well worth the investment and will last you a long time.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bignellm
    Fish cycling is a real pain. Take it from experience .
    I have cycled with fish dozens of times. Let's not forget it's how people cycled their tanks for decades. No one used pure ammonia or had bacteria boosters years ago. They didn't even have test kits.

Cycling w/ Fish or Cycling Fishless works on the same principal. You test the water daily. If fish are in the tank, keep the ammonia level low or do a water change.

If fishless cycling, do a daily water test and add ammonia if needed. How simple can it be really?
    So much more is made of it than is necessary.