· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Mr. Freckles...

1. Unhappy Mr. Freckles...

0 Not allowed!
    We are new to the tank game & have a very basic setup, 5 gallon tank, 1 Black Moor Goldfish- Bubbles- & 1 Pleco- Mr. Freckles. There are several live plants in the tank and we feed the fish their corresponding foods. Our worry is about Mr. Freckles...He seems healthy enough, he favors the plants over the algea wafers, but he has us dumbfounded. Perhaps it's our lack of experience with him, but it looks like he goes up for air. He favors the bottom portion of the tank the most but after being there for a few minutes he rapidly swims up to the surface of the water & just as quickly goes right back to the bottom. He even does it when he's on the side of the tank. Is this normal behavior for plecos? He's just your normal pleco.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is way too small for either of those fish let alone both.

My guess on the pleco's behavior is that your water is getting toxic-- plecos are very sensitive to that!

How long have you had this tank?
    Have you ever tested the water for ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte?
    Did you cycle it?
    What kind of filtration do you have?
    Don't ask the question if you don't really want to know the answer
    Goldfish get HOW big?
    Cycling WITH Fish
    Cycling WITHOUT Fish

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We have had the tank for about a month & clean it every week. Didn't know about testing the water, thanks for the info. As far as filtration, we bought the whole system as a kit. The filter says its for 10-20 gallon tanks.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How much water have you been changing? I hate to say it, but it's most likely not enough...

Common plecos get to be HUGE- and I mean 2 foot long huge. Black moores get to be about 10 inches. Neither of those fish are going to do well in so small of a tank, I'm afraid.

Your going to have to either get a MUCH larger tank or return your fish for smaller ones that will stay small.
    Goldfish get HOW big?
    Cycling WITH Fish
    Cycling WITHOUT Fish

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We change most of the water. I'd say we only leave about 1/2 inch of water in the tank. I rinse off the plastic plants, as well. We use a decholinator & conditioner combo. There is a long block aerator too. Had no idea they got that big! Guess we'll get a much bigger tank. Any suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    Your will need a 6ft 125G tank at the minimum to house the pleco, you could add a couple more golds to the tank with the moore as well. This is a serious investment and a good testament to research animals before you purchase. I would personally return both fish to the store you purchased them from. The stock for a 5G is very limited, you could keep a single betta and a couple of Nerite snails. Or a small shoal of microrasbora along with some cherry shrimp.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would have to suggest re-homing the pleco. When they get larger they don't get along with goldfish so well, anyway. If your looking for algae control, you might want to research snails, instead.

As far as a tank...I would go with at least a 30gallon tank with filtration rated for 60g or better. Moors also have fairly bad eyesight, so make sure you keep decorations to a minimum.
    Goldfish get HOW big?
    Cycling WITH Fish
    Cycling WITHOUT Fish

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    unfortunately, 5 gallons is very small for pleco.

my common pleco, which get quite giant, used to do this activity that you mentioned when he was living in a 20 gallon tank. he is now in a 60 gallon but soon even that won't be enough. change the water often, and make sure to offer vegetables like zucchini. you can tie some vegetables to a rock or pebble and leave it overnight.
    60. Platies, Swordtails
    60. Platies, Pleco.
    20. Harlequin Rasbora, Platies
    10. Guppies, Swordtails, Platies.
    **Live plants in all**
    I expect swiff replies