· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Where can you buy snails?

0 Not allowed!
    I recently noticed a lot of white stringy hair algae growing in my gravel and on my decor, and some websites say snails can help with that. Do pet stores even sell snails?

*~Don't find fault. Find a remedy~*
    *~"Fish are friends...NOT FOOD" :) ~*
    *~When in doubt, do a water change!~*

R.I.P. Tigger

0 Not allowed!
    Mystery Snails. Walmart, Meijer, Petco, Petsmart all sell Mystery Snails. If go to big box store like Walmart/Meijer, you'd be rescuing one from certain death.

0 Not allowed!
    If your talking about a marine set-up, turbo and astria snails will eat it, but they won't toush the stuff that is really long.

But hair algae is not typically white (fresh or salt water). Could you past a pic of it ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    If your talking about a marine set-up, turbo and astria snails will eat it, but they won't toush the stuff that is really long.
    Seen those guys, look soo cool, almost makes me want to start up a marine set up.
    I agree the algae, typically not white. Are you sure what your seeing is white whispy hair like strands?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can try to post a pic later. There are no fish in there currently, but I wonder if it's fungus? It's short cotton-like strands of white, and it's stuck to the gravel and decorations.

R.I.P. Tigger

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should add that's it's not a whole lot yet, and the strands are very short.

R.I.P. Tigger

0 Not allowed!
    Looks cottonish? It's probably fungus.

0 Not allowed!
    By reviwing a few of your last posts, this looks like your fresh water tank you have been cycling with fish food

This "cottonish" white stuff would certainly be fungus from the rotting fish food.

If you were to cycle with ammoina (as suggested in the below thread) your would not have this problem

Please DO NOT add any fish or snails to the tank until it is cycled. They will likely not serve the cycling process. I would have hoped you would understand that by now.

I have also moved your thread into the correct section of the fourm.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=80751
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with over feeding to cycle the tank as a probably cause of the stringy stuff.
    I'll add that if algae is a problem, snails or algae eating fish are not the answer. Plants that are given a chance to out compete for nutrients will do a far better job, and can be added to a cycling tank.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    By reviwing a few of your last posts, this looks like your fresh water tank you have been cycling with fish food

This "cottonish" white stuff would certainly be fungus from the rotting fish food.

If you were to cycle with ammoina (as suggested in the below thread) your would not have this problem

Please DO NOT add any fish or snails to the tank until it is cycled. They will likely not serve the cycling process. I would have hoped you would understand that by now.

I have also moved your thread into the correct section of the fourm.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=80751

I am not adding any fish or snails until it is cycled, relax. No need for the attitude. I am doing the absolute best that I can. Thanks

R.I.P. Tigger