· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Looking for a smaller type of Pleco.

0 Not allowed!
    I unfortunatly do not know very much about plecos, so what better place to ask about them.

As of this instance I have 2 Tiger Oscars (fairly small 2-3 inches) in a 29gal. They will be moved to a bigger tank once they get larger.

I am wondering what type of pleco I should be keeping an eye out for while my tank, for lack of better wording, "collects some grime". :) The only thing I know is that I should NOT get a common pleco, as they get unbelievably large.

I appreciate any help that you guys can give me. :)

Help grow my eggs, just one click. :)

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    If you are thinking of smaller pleco's to house in the 29g when the oscars are moved into their bigger home, look up clown plecos and rubberlip plecos.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, and any you would recommend to take along with the Oscars?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not a big fan of pleco's so I'm not too familiar with all the different species. Look here and see what you can find. I would find one that gets about 8-10 inches providing your tank is big enough.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...de=l&thumbs=16

One thing to keep in mind, oscars grow fast and many plecos do not. So if you are getting a pleco for your oscar tank, don't get a very young one unless you are planning to grow it out some in a different tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your help, you know more about Plecos than I do so that has already helped. ;)

Thanks again for the advice.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You are welcome. Hang around fish keepers who are as obsessed as you are about this hobby and you tend to learn a few things. Even about the fish you aren't all that fond of.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you are getting a larger tank for the oscars then a comman pleco would be fish and just to let you know your looking at a 125 min for the Oscar alone so a com pleco would be fine.
    55 Gallon Community
    40 Breeder Peacock cichlid Grow Out
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    2.5 gallon cylinder Crayfish tank
    1 gallon empty

0 Not allowed!
    Well, it's not exactly a Pleco, but is a suckermouth catfish. You could choose some Otocinclus catfish and not worry about them outgrowing the tank. Stays about 1 1/2" tops. Pretty much good clean up crew.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh okay, I was planning on about that size for the Oscars, just all the stories about the common pleco kinda scared me off about him. Especially since I heard they produce high wastes and as they get older they don't eat algae anymore? As I said I don't know much about plecos. :/

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ya I have heard the they stop eating algea when they get older but I know there are some species that eat it their whole life. They do produce a lot of waste but with oscars you will have to overfilter to the max already cause they are just as messy. The pleco also does not take up much swimming room so you will not need to up the tank size much.
    As for the actual fish maybe not a common pleco but there are so many to choose from. But the point was you are not really limited on the size of pleco. I would look at planetcatfish and see what species you like the best.
    55 Gallon Community
    40 Breeder Peacock cichlid Grow Out
    10 gallon empty
    5 gallon Guppy Tank
    2.5 gallon cylinder Crayfish tank
    1 gallon empty