· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default how do you lower ammonia

0 Not allowed!
    i have ammonia and i use tap water and i just did a big water change which
    killed a lot of filter bacteria and hence rasied the ammonia my tap has clorine
    and i dont have de clorinators

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    why are you starting a new thread to address a question we're answering in your previous thread?

You need to go out and get a water conditioning product. There are plenty to chose from. They're not expensive. Go get one ASAP. Do water changes with conditioned water to lower your ammonia and allow your beneficial bacteria to recover.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Go to store if you have the cash and buy Tetra AquaSafe for about 2.99-3.99
    Then do large water change of 50%

Can't get around it, water change is your best solution.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    WATER CHANGES!!! that is pretty much the only solution, take it from me.

*~Don't find fault. Find a remedy~*
    *~"Fish are friends...NOT FOOD" :) ~*
    *~When in doubt, do a water change!~*

R.I.P. Tigger

Default Best ammonia remover

0 Not allowed!
    The best ammonia REMOVER!, not neutralizer on the market is Aqua Sciences ChlorAm-X.(available as a liquid or a powder, I buy the powder) It removes chlorine/chloramines and ammonia. It is far superior to SeaChems Prime. Believe me I found out the hard way, I recently moved from a town that had wonderful artesian well water, a little high in pH and hardness but manageable. Did water changes for 40+ years never a problem, never had to check water, or add anything, then moved to a nearby town served by United Water Co(NNJ) with surface reservoirs. When my prized angelfish of all sizes started dying especially after large water changes, I discovered that my tap water had ammonia readings of, on a good day(rarely) 0.50ppm ammonia, to a more typical 1.0-1.5ppm to an outrageous level on some days of 4.0-5.0ppm, and pH levels of sometimes 8.8-9.0 which makes ammonia especially toxic I now have 160gl of pretreat vessels(32gl rubbermaid garbage pails) for my 22 tanks. I lost over $2000 of breeder angels and other various sizes. obviously you can treat a pail of water at a time if you so choose. I swear by this particular product(and it's sister product Ultimate). No I do not work for the Co! Hope this helps relaying my unfortunate story.Also looking in to RO units for the future.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hollysangels
    The best ammonia REMOVER!, not neutralizer on the market is Aqua Sciences ChlorAm-X.(available as a liquid or a powder, I buy the powder) It removes chlorine/chloramines and ammonia. It is far superior to SeaChems Prime. Believe me I found out the hard way, I recently moved from a town that had wonderful artesian well water, a little high in pH and hardness but manageable. Did water changes for 40+ years never a problem, never had to check water, or add anything, then moved to a nearby town served by United Water Co(NNJ) with surface reservoirs. When my prized angelfish of all sizes started dying especially after large water changes, I discovered that my tap water had ammonia readings of, on a good day(rarely) 0.50ppm ammonia, to a more typical 1.0-1.5ppm to an outrageous level on some days of 4.0-5.0ppm, and pH levels of sometimes 8.8-9.0 which makes ammonia especially toxic I now have 160gl of pretreat vessels(32gl rubbermaid garbage pails) for my 22 tanks.
    You need something to neutralize, not remove, or your tank will never cycle.

Odds are your water has chloramine which will read as ammonia on most test kits. Even if it is ammonia you still only want to neutralize it not completely remove it.
    Don't ask the question if you don't really want to know the answer
    Goldfish get HOW big?
    Cycling WITH Fish
    Cycling WITHOUT Fish

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    so i think im gonna get the aquasafe would a place like walmart have that
    i never buy fish thier but i somtimes get food or gravel

0 Not allowed!
    Prime is another good product to use. Its a dechlorinater and it will also make your ammoina less topic for your fish while still leaving it for your cycle
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Why are you doing water changes if you don't have any dechlorinator?
    Now that you've added water without treating it first, you have basically sent your tank back into cycling, if it was finished cycling at all.
    Make sure you start testing it for ammonia and nitrites every day and be prepared to do a lot more water changes while if finishes cycling or re-cycling, what ever the case may be. And don't forget to add dechlorinator to every water change!
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fish4me98
    so i think im gonna get the aquasafe would a place like walmart have that
    i never buy fish thier but i somtimes get food or gravel
    Walmart should have Tetra AquaSafe. Yes.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...38-oz/16935660
    Just found it on their site. So, definitely is on their shelves normally.