· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default New 70 gal deep setup

0 Not allowed!
    Ok friends here is the deal.

I have a new 70 gallon tank that I intend to stock as a 6 inch or smaller community tanks. This is the beginning of the story.

Tank- 36x18x25- only 40 bucks (Thanks Craigslit)
    HOB filter- Aquaclear 110
    Internal filter- Aquaclear 30 powerhead with quick filter attached.HEater- Eheim Jager- 150W
    Lights- still a work in progress (eventually 80 watts of 8k T5's, and a moonlight LED setup)

Undergravel Jets- DIY method courtesy Marc of Cichlid Forums

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

This is replacing a 20 gal in my office. I am fishless cycling using ammonia and an API test kit. Once it is cycled I will remove 80% of the water, saving much of the water and removing the decorations and plants in the water (using sealable buckets) and take it all to work. I will then reassemable- let it run for a fewdays and add the little guys.

Currently on sawhorses in my laundry room- close to a sink- (my wife loves this and I am doing all the laundry).

Yssterday I assembeld the UGJ system. The AC 30 wasnt setup quite the way I anticipated so I had to reconfigure the design. I think I like it better this was anyhow.

The initial results are below. (I hope.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fyrehawk

Getting my new 70 gal tank stocked.

20 gal gourami tank.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I spent the rest of the PM working on same basic design- alll of it will be scrapped to move but I want to see what I am working with.

Initial images below. Definitely need more gravel and more plants. All in time.

My current Ammonia is at about 3.0. Now we wait.

I would appreciate any commentary or suggestions.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Fyrehawk

20 gal gourami tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see how turns out.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If the fish from your 20 gal are going in this tank then you could just as easily add all gravel and existing filter from the 20 onto this tank and your cycle will be done,at least for the current fish.You can then slowly add your new stock with very little worry of a cycle occuring.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know if im reading this wrong but are you planning on keeping the water? The water doesnt contain the bacteria for the cycle so if that is the case you would just be saving dirty water essentially. And if thats not what you were saying than I appoligize
    My 14 Gallon Reef
    Fish are Friends, not Food

0 Not allowed!
    TOTAL +1 to the previous two posts.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by frefal13
    I don't know if im reading this wrong but are you planning on keeping the water? The water doesnt contain the bacteria for the cycle so if that is the case you would just be saving dirty water essentially. And if thats not what you were saying than I appoligize

Thanks for the reminder on that, but I wasnt really efforting to save the water. I will simply be using it to maintain the environment for the BB as they are moved along with media etc into the new tank. I anticipate a couple of hours in teacr down and rebuild in total.

Plus my water isnt that dirty... ;)
    Fyrehawk

20 gal gourami tank.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    If the fish from your 20 gal are going in this tank then you could just as easily add all gravel and existing filter from the 20 onto this tank and your cycle will be done,at least for the current fish.You can then slowly add your new stock with very little worry of a cycle occuring.

I think I am kind of doing a hybrid. I want to keep the 20 active so I can quarantine, medicate etc. in there. So I am taking a good chunk of the material from it but leaving enough behind to keep it stable.

Does that make sense?
    Fyrehawk

20 gal gourami tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Did initial setup as documented above. Then headed out of town with the family. Returned and did a water test and found that the ammonia hadn't budged like I hoped. So, water change and such to bring the ammonia level down into the 3 ppm level. Let it sit a day and tested ammonia and nitrites today. Nitrites up to a little over 10 ppm and ammonia at about 4.0 ppm.

The ammonia climbs due to some plants that I added from the lfs that were in tough shape. Removed most of the rot but not all.

Also had to take my mopani wood out as it was browning the water. I guess two weeks of leeching the tannins wasn't enough.

Added some more gravel and am happy with the overall look. Just need to get the cycle complete and move to final locale. On the note the wife actually likes the look. Maybe allow it in the den? I will keep working on that.

Pics when the tannins are leached by the carbon filter ( which I will then remove and place some floss in it's place.

Having a blast.

Fyrehawk

20 gal gourami tank.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I now have a quandry... My new tank, with only 5 plants in it is not dropping ammonia levels after a full week and I seeded it with the old media from my fully cycled 20 gal tank and some gravel. My nitrates are starting to climb... But the ammonia actually seems to be climbing. Any ideas?

Also, what time do you all think I might expect for mopani wood to fully leech tannins? Can I speed this?
    Fyrehawk

20 gal gourami tank.