· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ive been using a blade to scrape the algae off but may just get 1 of the mag cleaners. Dont want to add an otto and risk it starving etc.

Thanks for the heads up chris

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm. First I've heard of Otos having a tendency to starve in captivity, chris - do you have a link?

I have otos and as I look at my tank now I see 3 on the glass. They do prefer cleaning up ornaments - but they go where the food is. They are definitely happier in schools. They have been in that tank for a year now.

How did you alter your lighting? Increasing or decreasing? I'd try both before buying an algae eater. You shouldn't have to clean your glass daily, thats a bit much I think, weekly I would be willing to settle for.
    BN plecos are not that big on bioload, not like a regular pleco. I have one in my 10gal at work.
    Last edited by sheamurai; 10-15-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    have a look on here and the other forums, even the best keepers have been struggling to sustain numbers of them long term.

Lady hobbs and me were discussing it not that long ago.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    ok, will do...been busy lately and not keeping up on my forum scanning...
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    simply by googling ottos starving I found tonnes of hits :(

they just seem to struggle to find enough food in most tanks long term.

They certainly cannot out compete the likes of shrimp. They are soft algae eatters and although they will eat a little of the film on glass they are not good glass cleaners as green algae on glass tends to be too hard for them.

Heres a very typical post;

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00151.html
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I remember reading that thread about the ottos and some ppl havin trouble keeping them alive.

I tried cutting down on my lightin to 7hrs a day from 9 but didnt seem to have much effect over 2wks or so. I put my timer up to 9 again so my plants where getting plenty of light etc. And I only feed a small abmount each day. I crush up a few flakes so my embers can get a gd at them.

Did my weekly wc earlier and just wiped all the algae of with a sponge. Clear as a bell again so I think i'll just stick with that method.

Maybe once my plants really take hold and grow they will outdo the algae.

Ive bn thinking of maybe startin to add some sort of liquid fert to help my plants.
    Would they benefit in any great deal?? Anacharis, twisted vals, jave fern and anubias I think.

Wouldnt have a clue where to start looking though for types of fert. I want to have my tank really planted well with lots of deep coverage and growth etc.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    havent really posted an update lately in this thread.. ive just been letting my tank grow etc and giving it a goodchance to get going..

got a few questions to ask and a few pics to throw up so they may run into 1 or 2 posts here..

some of my plants are really doing well and there is plenty of new growth starting to appear.. have to say though im not happy with the lay out of my plants etc.. with me being new to the whole live plants side of things i just sort of put all my plants in when i got them as i wasnt sure what they all where and how they grew etc..

so there is no real lay out to my planting but i would like their to be.. ill put up a few tank shots and pics to show all the new growth that is coming through.. you will also notice the 2 large suction pads i have in there holding my anacharis in place.. it was the only thing i could come up with to keep it floating and in 1 place lol

anybody got any ideas on how to arrange my plants etc to give it a much more structured sort of look?? would it be better to move all my ferns together in the 1 place? maybe all around my filter as a disguise??

chrisfraser - those plants you sent along with the shrimp. well you can see just how well they are coming along.. they are loving it in there and growing big time..

also i have a question regarding the ferns.. as you can see from my pics.. at the tips of some of the big leaves there is a lot of new leaves and growth.. why is this? is this normal for them to grow there? im not sure if the brown rot sort of thing at these points are roots and attached themselves to the leaves in transit maybe?? is there anyway i can separate all the new growth off to plant it maybe??

i also have a ton! of baby assassin snails in there and a lot of baby shrimp they reallyare going crazy and its great to see.. ive a few pics to show this of aswell..

if anyone has any input feel free to fire away..
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    pics showing new plant growth..

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and a few pics showing a few baby snails and shrim and 1 showing a female loaded up with more eggs