· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So I had a gd look at the tank last nite.

The bulb is a 15watt t8 daylight bult. Not sure of the k value of it but that should be 1watt per gallon for my plants.

Also the filter on It is a small rena filstar internal number. No filter media in it, though I think I mite purchase a new 1 to give me plenty of filtration and water movement rather than just an adequate amount.

Im not sure whether to go for a small internal fluval filter so that I can use the sponges from 1 of the fluval filters on the big tank or go for something different.

I think it makes more sense atm to use the old sponges rather than spend all that time cycling the tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADIN
    So I had a gd look at the tank last nite.

The bulb is a 15watt t8 daylight bult. Not sure of the k value of it but that should be 1watt per gallon for my plants.

Also the filter on It is a small rena filstar internal number. No filter media in it, though I think I mite purchase a new 1 to give me plenty of filtration and water movement rather than just an adequate amount.

Im not sure whether to go for a small internal fluval filter so that I can use the sponges from 1 of the fluval filters on the big tank or go for something different.

I think it makes more sense atm to use the old sponges rather than spend all that time cycling the tank.

Go for the proven winner in your book
    If your most familiar with Fluval, then pick that one.
    Nothing worse than having to buy specialized media for multiple units.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good and you'll had a cute little tank going in no time. If it was me, I would use a piece of sponge in your filter and save yourself from buying cartridges. Black background and black substrate would look awesome.

You should be able to grow some anubias easily as well as some java fern and moss if you like that. Nice pick-up.

Like your counters and stainless refrigerator, too. LOL

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thats the sort of plants i was thinking along the lines off lady..

will also be trying swords and wisteria and valls..

i like the big broad leaf plants.. im thinking those for along the back of the tank then smaller ones to the front..

i picked up some gravel yesterday aswell..

i was planning on getting a black substrate as you mentioned lady but i took a quick visit out to a big store and they where selling this gravel (pics) for 49pence a kg.. so i got around 7/8 kg for £3.50.. couldnt ask for much cheaper than that..

if i dont decide to go with that gravel then its pennies wasted really and not huge amounts of money spent..

also going to go with the Fluval u2 filter and there is a section for the sponge media which i can insert from my other tank along with a 100watt heater..

will get both of those items ordered online today.. progress is being made..
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADIN
    thats the sort of plants i was thinking along the lines off lady..

will also be trying swords and wisteria and valls..
    I would be cautious about Wisteria. I tried it under lighting similar to yours, and it just never started growing. Instead it was slowing dying. It's supposed to be a fast growing, but needs TONS of lighting.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the advice on the wisteria..

im completely new to using live plants in a tank so i think im going to have to try those mentioned and see which works and doesn't work..

as you say the wisteria might need more light than i have got in which case that would be scrapped.. trial and error.. time to learn some more about the hobby and gain some new experience..

hoping my filter and heater come before saturday.. if they do i can get the tank set up.. in preparation for sunday.. thats when i will be able to grab the sponges from the filter i have running in the bigger tank and can also purchase some plants when i pass the store on my way home..

providing all this goes to plan... and i can get the filter media in and running on sunday..

i am obviously going to need a few small fish to keep the cycle ticking over and from dying out ... so i think i will need to make my mind up as to what im going to house in the tank by sunday, so i can purchase it all at 1 go..

sundays are the only time i pass this big store and it's the only reliable place that i would buy fish from.. all the rest are small stores and i all the fish i have purchased in the past from the larger store have always been excellent quality.. they really are top of their game..

i dont know wether to consider some sort of centre peice fish or just go with a large school or a small fish like rasbora's or cherry barbs or something.. so many choices lol all part of the fun.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A lot of people use Danios to cycle their tanks with. I have found Gouramis and Platys to be very hardy as well. I forget, how big is your tank?
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    my tank works out at 15gallons..

came home today from work to a lovely surprise.. the new filter and heater i ordered online yesterday have arrived already! 24hours later..

delighted..

ive just gave the tank a good scrub and clean down along with all of the stones aswell..and it is now sitting outside with water in it as a final check to make sure there are no issues with leaking..(pics)

also delighted with the filter as i took it apart and the sponges inside are exactly the same as the other fluval filter that i have that is already running in the big tank, so tomorrow when i am up there i will be taking out 1 of the sponges and placing it into this filter, along with 1 of the brand new sponges to let that seed ..

im hoping then that with a bit of light stocking to begin with this little tank with the 1 cycled sponge in the filter will do just fine while the other sponge catches up.. should that do grand?

still unsure of which schooling fish to get.. i like pristella tetras alot.. lovely looking little fish.. it might well depend on what is in stock when it comes to the time to buy

also if anyone can answer this question.. it might be sunday before i get a chance to actually purchase some fish and plants.. if i get this tank up and the filter going tomorrow night or saturday.. will the filter be fine for a day or 2 without any fish etc. producing waste for the bacteria to feed on??

i am also considering a male apisto cacatuoide for this tank... been on a cichlid forum and they have said there would be plenty of room for a single male.. always wanted to keep 1.. so that could be my centre peice.. decisions decisions..
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to keep the bacteria alive without fish you could put some fish food in the tank to rot and that would feed the bacteria. I would not push it for 2 days w/o an ammonia source.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for that ldoerr.. if i get the cycled sponges tomorrow evening, bring them home and get them into the new filter and tank then i would definately have to go get a few fish on sat morning.. i could always leave it until sunday to get the sponges and that would mean i could call into th larger store that i have always went to for myfish.. they have a bigger selection than anywhere else in the country..

would give me an extra day to try and at least narrow my selection down to 1 or 2 species to make a definate pick from rather than a rushed job and maybe getting fish on saturday that im not realy keen on just to keep the cycle going...