· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kait's Tanks

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    When I was setting up my 55 gallon tank I wanted one end for stem plants so I bought two bags of black Flourite. I use black aquarium gravel on one side (slate/ java fern/ amazon swords) and the black flourite is on the other side uncapped. I did read some where that the cories may get damage to their mouth area from the flourite but I haven't noticed any damage to mine.

Can any one shed some info on exposed flourite with bottom feeders like Cories as I see kaitym has some in her stock? I still worry.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Strider, for making that point.. Will the flourite be a danger to my little buddies? Of all the fish I have in my tanks, the cories are by far my favorite to watch and they're just so darn cute lol

Anywho, today holds many tasks to complete. Going on a hunt for fishing line, probably find that at walmart or the local hardware store. I've got about 6 little Java Fern leafs that need re-anchoring onto the slate. Hoping the driftwood I ordered last week comes in today cause that's what I really wanted to attach it to.
    55: 2 small angels, 8 bloodfins, 6 black neons, 8 cories, 2 otos
    20: 1 gbr, 1 golden ram, 1 bolivian, 5 danios, 4 head and tail tetras
    10 QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm also trying to decide which of my fish would do well in the 10 gal that I have sitting empty after the move? Could I put my school of (6) head-and-tail tetras in it with peppered cories (5)? Planning on planting the hell out of it once it's up and running. I just really wanna group the different species of cories in different tanks. The albinos are in with my GBR's and the bronze ones are in with the bolivians and otos. Any input would be fantastic.

4. Default And the hunt is on..

0 Not allowed!
    Off to the LFS for some media for my aquaclear 20 that will be going into the 55 in preparation for the move and setup of my 10gal. Can't wait to get that sucker running.. Might pick up a new one as well and start that too. Is there such a thing as too much filtration?? Can't see the harm in at least seeding them so I wont have to cycle the new tank.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So instead of going to the LFS like I planned, that'll have to wait till tomorrow, I found some stones right out on my front lawn that would look pretty neat in my tank. I'm giving them a bleach bath to kill off any unwelcome travelers. That will be followed by a detailed scrubbing and rise with treated water. The sun's out today so I think I'll let them bake on the porch before adding them to the tank.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    You are one busy AC member kaitym!

I was going through different posts on the net about Flourite and bottom feeders with barbels and there doesn't seem to be any real evidence that Cories would be affected by Flourite as a substrate. Sorry I put that scare there kaitym, but I wanted to make sure it was ok.
    How are those rocks coming along?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Coming along well, scrubbed, soaking in treated water as we speak. Might leave them in a new batch overnight just to be sure. Tomorrow is a busy day for me so I'll leave the stones on the porch while I run errands. Having two days off from work leaves me with a lot of free time.

I also found a snail in my tank while I was cleaning. Almost didn't notice the lil guy, same color as the slate. No idea what kind but it must have hitchhiked in with the plants.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Beware of snails. If your prepared to see a bunch more than your a better person than me. I dont like snails in my tanks.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So now I've seen two different looking snails.. One was gray and the other is tan/white. Still no idea what kind, but they're ok until they start out numbering the fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on shape, my guess at the snail is:
    Malaysian Trumpet Snail, Ramshorn Snail, or Pond Snail.

I agree, prepare for the Snail Apocalypse.