· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kait's Tanks

1. Default Kait's Tanks

0 Not allowed!
    55 gal:
    2 15 wat lights with hoods (hoping to upgrade ASAP)
    1 Double sided filters (not sure what, will post pics later)
    1 adjustable/submersable heater

Stock:
    10 Bloodfin Tetras
    4 Bolivian Rams
    6 Corydoras (assorted)
    1 Golden Ram (moving to 20 gal)

Plants:
    2 bunches of Anacharis
    1 Java Fern
    1 Narrow Leaf Amazon Sword
    2 Amazon Swords
    1 Micro Sword

Decorations:
    1 rock
    3 fake pieces of wood (looking into real driftwood)
    2 pieces of slate
    2 terracota plant pots
    1 Airstone

try me.jpg

20 gal:

1 15 wat light with hood
    1 double sided filter (same as above)
    1 adjustable/submersable heater

Stock:
    6 head-and-tail light tetras
    1 guppy (lone survivor from 8 months ago)
    1 GBR

Plants:
    6 fakes (adding live once they start to grow in 55)

Decorations:
    Huge fake rock

20 gal full tank shot.jpg

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

2. Default Moving... ugh!!

0 Not allowed!
    Moving in a month and I'm looking at it as both a nightmare and an opportunity. Looking into switching out my regular gravel for the Flourite. Wondering how many bags (15 lbs each) I need and if I can layer normal gravel over it? I like the benefits from it but not the look completely. Anyone with advice, I'm more than willing to learn. I'm not looking to upgrade my lighting just yet, the plants I have right now are thriving. Also considering putting up my 10 gal once the move is made and trying to imagine which of my current stock will move into a different tank once it's all said and done. Suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitym
    ...Looking into switching out my regular gravel for the Flourite. Wondering how many bags (15 lbs each) I need and if I can layer normal gravel over it? I like the benefits from it but not the look completely.
    Flourite is nice, but if you're going to cap it, consider Oil-Dri at about $5.00 a bag. Oil-Dri is fired at a lower temperature than Flourite, but far higher than cat litter. The drawback is color isn't an option. You have to take what ever your stores have in stock without opening the bag to look at it.

My personal preference, for planted tanks, is a mix of red Flourite and Oil-Dri. It wasn't mixed when I started. ;-) It got that way after vacuuming the substrate.

Caveat, both will mess with your mind by messing with the pH of your tank for a couple of weeks. That is normal and expected.

0 Not allowed!
    I would just mix all sorts of substrate together...one of my favorite looking substrates was a mix of regular Flourite, torpedo beach sand, and natural colored aquarim gravel. It was all different sizes and textures but all worked well. The mix was about 50% Flourite, 30% torpedo beach sand and 20% aquarium gravel. Whatever you cap it with with moving plants around and such will in time mix. I would invest in atleast 3 bags of Flourite for a 55G.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought two bags of the normal colored flourite on fosterandsmith.com... Will be ordering two more since my LFS pretty much told me I couldn't get it through them. They're fish supplier is amazing and is the only reason I continue to go there. Great stock, I've only ever lost one fish right after bringing it home. I also bought two pieces of wood from the site that were marketed for aquariums. We'll see how well it works out, I've got 2 pieces of slate already in the tank for helping to sink them and some Java Fern babies just waiting for a new home. Was thinking of grabbing some rocks from the campground I go to, I'm sure they wouldn't mind or notice.

But back to the move, I've got 18 gal storage totes that will be housing the fish while I tear down the tanks and move them to the new place. It may take a day or two to get everything situated. I've got 2 totes, one for the rams and one for the tetras/corys. Hope they'll be ok for that long. I got black totes thinking that the darker I could keep it, the calmer they'll be. It works with my cat, why not fish too? =)

6. Default Dirt maybe??

0 Not allowed!
    I've also been watching videos and reading about "dirted" tanks. Wondering if I would be able to do this along with the flourite and gravel. I kind of like the way it looks layered at the front of the tank and it might help with the live plants as I don't have an awesome light setup, though the tank does (and will) get plenty of natural light throughout the day. Either way, I'm almost positive that the new setup will be a million times better than the one I've got now. The plants and fish are all happy and healthy but it's not the prettiest thing.
    55: 2 small angels, 8 bloodfins, 6 black neons, 8 cories, 2 otos
    20: 1 gbr, 1 golden ram, 1 bolivian, 5 danios, 4 head and tail tetras
    10 QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    With a Dirty Tank, you will encounter Nitrite, Nitrate spikes like mad for a little while. I've not tried one, but would be freaked out too much to try. If looking for that natural look, why not just get a sand substrate premix? It would probably wreck havoc on any HOB filter system though.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a dirted tank and like it a lot, as for random spikes I haven't noticed any
    60gal Community Planted
    12gal Quarantine

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCheco
    I have a dirted tank and like it a lot, as for random spikes I haven't noticed any
    Well, that's a vote of confidence. I noted the guy in videos said random spikes were to be expected. Still puts me off at the time being.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It was just an idea, I'm constantly changing my mind about things like this. I am sticking with the flourite though, and I may not cap it at all (can that be done?) I've been looking through photos on here and other sites and it seems as though people just leave it as is and it doesn't look that bad. It'll be a change from the white gravel I have now, for sure. I like the look of sand, but since I have 2 HOB filters, I don't want to try anything and have them both break at the same time.
    55: 2 small angels, 8 bloodfins, 6 black neons, 8 cories, 2 otos
    20: 1 gbr, 1 golden ram, 1 bolivian, 5 danios, 4 head and tail tetras
    10 QT: empty