· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Well, not necessarily. It's not quite as simple as simply throwing a bunch of plants in a tank. There are some very specific considerations for plants when doing a Walstad style Natural Planted Tank. CO2 is a variation, if done true to form, them emergent growth plants or floating plants are used. My current NPT has no water movement at all, but the surface is nearly covered with Amazon Frogbit.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I see what you're saying. Do you know what the El Dosing method is? I've heard it several times but don't quite understand it. And I understand that it's more than just "throwing" plants in there. I think I have some allelopathy going on in my tank. My Jungle Val hasn't grown except for 1 leaf since I've trimmed it 3 weeks ago. I cut the runners off and my plant hasn't gone crazy like Jungle Val is known for.
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

0 Not allowed!
    EI = Estimative Index. It is a system that was developed in large part by Tom Barr. Basically, you dose your tank based mostly on size. It assumes a large biomass of plants and sufficient CO2. It's not too complicated really, it is supposed to be a "simple" approach to dosing. Rather than get precise with measuring out each nutrient, you simply add a set amount of macro elements every other day, and on the off days you add the trace elements. Then once a week you do a %50 water change.

Allelopathy is unlikely. Sounds to me like your plant is simply recovering and re-establishing some roots.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The Jungle Val is in my 10g btw, just to clarify. That doesn't sound too complicated at all. It has some decent roots already, but you think it's just re-establishing it's roots? I've never had Jungle Val before and I love how it looks when it grows out so that's why I thought I'd give it a try.
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update! It's been a while because I've been away at school making mom and dad proud and I've had my sister send me pictures of the tank... bad idea LOL

October 11, 2011:

October 20, 2011:

November 16, 2011:

Sorry they aren't as good as Jenn/Cliff/Aeon's pictures, I'm not that good and I'll probably learn how to take pictures like that once the tank gets to wear I want it too.
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

You deserve a gift ! :) - MeganL3985 For doing research!  BTW...college ;) - Rue Put him with Bruce.... - jbeining75 Its good to have company - smaug Thought this might help while your're sick. Hope you feel better soon. - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    For the cards - William An Apple For Teaching Grad!  Congrats! - MeganL3985 You deserve to let yourself go for all the hard work you did to graduate!!! - Bolivian Ram Here's an apple for the teacher, great job Ellen - sailor A koi, because they love being in a school!! - smaug 
    Congrats on the job - sailor congrats on the job ! - Algenco For getting your teaching job - snipers_den Welcome back! - fins_n_fur merry xmas - smaug 
    For the new tank - Northernguy Way to go! DIY Stand. - Northernguy My condolances to you and your family. - Mith Good Luck, thanks for the rep! - Wild Turkey I thought you might like a Frontosa. - Brookfish 
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Ellen4God Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm...I think my 55g may end up being "dirty" now!!! I like the look and that it doesn't seem super expensive to do. I'll have to do more research though.

I think you should show an updated picture or two!! Just saying. :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll take a picture now and upload it when I get up to Pennsylvania. We're going to see our Maw-Maw (grandma) and I'll have little to no service. I can't do it fast enough here with my dad being a bundle of joy.

What you can do that I didn't do, is when you lay the dirt down, leave a little gap in the front from the dirt and the glass and when you cap it with your gravel/sand, you can put it in the little gap you made so that from the front of the tank, you can't see the dirt. The only thing that's going wrong with my sister's tank, is that it's got an algae problem. It's not green algae, but more of a gunk type stuff.
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just like I thought, I couldn't get any service in Pennsylvania and I've been moderately busy since I've been home (last Friday).

Here's what the tank looked like the morning we left:

I tossed this Wisteria into my sister's tank instead of mine, and I absolutely despise that plant. I like big strong roots, not flimsy stems.

Here's what the tank looks like as of 6:07 :

Here's her Betta, he's a Half Moon:
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Been a while since I uploaded any pictures of the tank. Tank is still going strong. I wish these Amazon Swords would hit their growth spurt

FTS:

Here's a more upclose picture:

I apologize for the gunk on the Crypt Undulata leaves, the picture isn't the best quality. My sister took it and sent it to me
    Last edited by DylanisHawttt; 02-02-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's been a little over 2 months since I've updated this thread, I need to get a picture from my sister and update it. I'm considering rescaping the tank and taking the gravel out and replacing it with sand, or maybe half sand/half gravel.

Does anybody have any ideas for aquascaping?
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank