· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 10g Killifish/Riparium Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, figured I go ahead and start a journal for this project on here since I have one going on another forum. I got in on hydrophyte's money off deal on a Riparium kit over at Planted Tank Forum if I agreed to document everything. I probably would have anyway but this way I get a deal! Figured I may as well share the project with you guys since im documenting it over there anyway! lol

Just a disclaimer, not affiliated with him in any way, I stand to make no money from this other than the discount he gave me off the kit.

Still getting everything setup, but im planning on an Amazon/SA style setup with a ton of Manzanita coming out of the water and then of course the Riparium plants. Don't think ill have any plants in the actual aquarium part but ill play it by ear. As for fish like the title says the only thing planned right now are two pairs of Killifish, maybe some shrimp, would like to have some breeding going on. :icon_smil Not gonna go too crazy looking for only SA Killi's, just gonna get ones I like.

Hardware

Tank: Using an old 10g I've had for probably 12 years and used for all kinds of critters.
    Filter: Using this little guy: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details Wont need much filtration and I wont have much in the way of fish, the plants will do most of the filtering for me.
    Lighting: Custom 27w desk lamp from home depot. Would post a link but I don't think its made anymore.

Anyway, on the the pics! Any questions just ask, also wide open to any suggestions!

Here the tank just after being totally de-rimmed and getting a water test:

After spray painting the black background sitting in place. I use Rustoleum flat black for all my backgrounds, always works good:

And finally for today, my awesome, super genius, homemade lighting solution! This is a 27w desk lamp I bought at home depot a year ago for my 5g nano. Its an amazing light that has just the right output and color for plants, and as I no longer have my nano it was just in the closet. Did some modification to the arm to get the angle I wanted and screwed the base right into the wall!

Now im just waiting on my kit! Will update once it comes in and I get some stuff in there lol

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Can not wait for the progress of this tank. Will defenitly be interesting. That tank does not look like a 10g either. Good luck with it.
    Lots of tanks. Some tanks are planted. Fish include community and bettas.
    2 Dachshunds. Angel (Red) and Cookie (Chocolate Dapple).
    Shiny Things and Beauty the rabbits.
    RIP Princess and Max the Dachshunds, Tiger and Ping Pong the rabbits, and all the fishes from when I was a newbie.
    It is Ldoerr NOT Idoerr.
    Black kitten named Midnight that was found 10/29/12

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, its amazing what de-rimming can do for a tank. They look so much bigger!

0 Not allowed!
    Killifish are so beautiful, I can't wait to see the final tank.
    American League Champions! TIGERS!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finally, update time!!!!

Finally got back from being out of town and got the thing started for real! Hydrophytes kit is really awesome, I had no idea what I was doing but with the rather good instructions I think I did ok.

Without further stalling here are the pictures, since his kits come with great instructions I wont be doing a full step-by-step here, but will give a brief overview.

The kit as it arrived out of the box:

The individual pieces that make up each starter pack:

My first raft, filled with the planting gravels and the fertilization disk:

The fist plant I took out of its package, each plant was labeled with its name and how best to use it, this one is Cyperus:

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My first successfully built planter, a big moment

First planter added to tank with raft attached:

One of the plants came in wet newspaper already planted, wasn't labeled but its a sword of some kind for sure. I had no idea what the fibery stuff was and the base of the plant so I removed it, hope I was supposed to lol:

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    And finally, the tank with all the rafts put together and installed:

Overall I think it came out pretty good for my first time. Im not totally set on the hard scape but its late and it will do for tonight. Cant wait to see everything start to grow!

Comments, questions and criticisms very much appreciated! Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice, can't wait 'til those plants grow in. Have you any thoughts of amphibians? Species of dart frog would be good, and add color and interest.

As to killies, can't go wrong with a gardneri group.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! I didn't think I could do dart frogs with this type of setup? There's no real land, just the plants, and its open top. So the above water area has no humidity and wouldn't they just hop out?

0 Not allowed!
    Probably not, since they are so small, and need to be near moisture (aka water). But you're right about the humidity. Perhaps a dome of fine screen over the tank. As to land, one of the aquatic soils could fill in spaces among the plants. Me being me, If I was doing a tank like that I'd have amphibians with the killies, so I'd have interest among the plants and in the water. With the soil you can make a more natural-looking bog plant area.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go