· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your DIY rock looks pretty good. My attempt at that was an epic fail. The local dump now has a pile or wanna be reef rock. = )

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is Janelle's boyfriend Joel. As you know this is our first saltwater tank and so I tried to research everything I could think of, and tried to work out a plan that was cheap and effective... Alas as most of you know that often causes problems.

My plan is to have the overflow from the display aquarium drain down a lit screen (algae scrubber) and flow into the sump. I was worried about the pump flow, because there is kind of a fine balance I am trying to walk in the algae scrubber department. To much flow and I make a huge mess, to little and the screen filter is ineffective. My flow goal is at least 700 GPH, and preferably no more than about 1000. Turns out my overflow is the issue, not the pump.

My current problem, an ineffective 1.5" overflow:

Here is a video of it, just click the picture:

When I designed this I was under the impression 1.5" of overflow would be plenty, as I research more I think what was not made clear is 1.5" of overflow running full siphon is plenty, but is not very safe by itself.

This is in my bedroom and while it does not have to be totally silent (I actually like some consistant water flowing sound for the white noise factor) it does have to be a consistant sound. If it sounds like a toilet flushing at any point it is going to wake me up.

So now I am considering 2 possibilities:

Glass-holes.com 3000GHP kit: http://glass-holes.com/3000-Overflow...hed-3kblem.htm my concern with the design of this overflow is that it may go in and out of siphon flow as the water level rises and falls if they reach a certain flow rate, thus making the flushing toilet sound.

The BeanAnimal/Herbie 3 standpipe system using a slim box inside, acting as a wier, and another box outside the tank like this: http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php I like the idea of a full time siphon tube and overflow tube (that can switch to full siphon) AND a redundant overflow tube. I know this is made to go in and out of siphon but I dont think it would if adjusted properly.

With the second plan I am not sure how well I like the idea of a second box on the back of the tank. I could either pinch the 2 boxes through the glass with bulkheads (and washers on both sides), and then have 3 more bulkheads going out the bottom of the outside box. Or I could lower the water level in the tank a few inches, clean off the glass and make glass boxes I silicone to the tank.

What do you guys think? Do you have a suggestion between these 2? or another suggestion all together? I have no problems drilling/cutting glass. I used to be a glass worker, but finding decently thick glass cheap might be difficult around where I live.
    Last edited by Janelle; 08-26-2011 at 04:51 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    With a 1.5" drain line, you should get ~1400 GPH. If you are not, then I would guess you are not getting enough air into the line to allow the water to flow freely, or too many elbows in the line

Have you considered a combination of option 2 and your current set-up ? You have enough room for a duriso standpipe to connect directly to your bulk head flange. I have personally seen tanks with this set-up on it and it seams to work really well. Almost no noise as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    With a 1.5" drain line, you should get ~1400 GPH. If you are not, then I would guess you are not getting enough air into the line to allow the water to flow freely, or too many elbows in the line
    That is not true in my case.... You can see my setup pretty clearly, even vented the max flow I can get is maybe 400. Not 1400.
    Last edited by Janelle; 08-26-2011 at 06:57 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    In that case, I would suggest trying one of the below

A) Increase the size of the air line into your drain to allow more air
    B) Increase the size of your return pump. As you stated in your video, it has 800 GPH of flow without head hight. Once you add both 3 feet of head hight and 3 elbows, you are likely around 600 GPH now. I used a guess of 3 feet based only on what I had seen in the video.

If I were a betting man, I would bet on the air getting into the drain

I think it's just a matter of trying a few different things to make your system better. I have 1.5" drain lines on both of my sumped reef tanks and they handle between 1200 and 1300 GPH without a problems.

I'm sure you can get yours to work better

http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml
    Last edited by Cliff; 08-26-2011 at 07:18 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am not sure how much I am flowing, it is a quietone 3000 rated at 819GPH with 0 head height and 1" line. I have 2.5' of head height (water height difference between the display and sump) 3 90 degree elbows, 1 45 degree elbow, and I am also using 3/4" pipe, not 1".

I would assume your guess is probably somewhere near accurate at around 600 GPH tops. I wouldnt give this pump, under these conditions, credit for any more flow than that. My original plan was to use a pair of them to reach 1000-1200 GPH and have some flow redundancy, however it currently looks like 1 is FAR more than my 1.5" overflow can handle. That being said here are some videos I just took.

No vent, full 600 GPH flow more than the overflow can handle:

More or less the same thing, without the funnel top:
    http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...0826111420.mp4

Same thing but vented, clearly no air in the overflow drain, same result:
    http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...0826111432.mp4

It is tough to say for sure, but I would say my 1.5" drain can handle about 400GPH under full siphon (submerged), and around half that if I am using it as a skimmer. So If I had 2 of these drains, one under full siphon, and one being used as a skimmer I might pull off 600 GPH drain.
    Last edited by Janelle; 08-26-2011 at 07:58 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff do you have any pictures of your overflow drain? I am still a bit boggled by how they could possibly be 3-4 times difference in flow.

0 Not allowed!
    I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow

0 Not allowed!
    As promised, here are some pics of my 90 gallon set-up. Sorry about the dirty glass, I have no gotten around to cleaning it in a while. I have a duriso stand pipe inside the overflow. I have a quiteone 6000 return pump on this set-up

0 Not allowed!
    Here's a few of my 120 gallon set-up. Very similur to my 90 gallon. 1.5" drain line with the same return pump

One question that I forgot to ask is how you tested the drain line to determine the flow rate ? Did you have a larger return pump in the sump before ?