· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...light=stocking

All of those except the pleco are shooling so are ideally in schools (I consider a school to be at least six). You room for them to be all schools if you do enoguh water changes.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    isnt 19 fish a bit too many for a 29 gal?
    "Why Not?"

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Please read the article I in the link I posted. It will explain stocking a little better.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I did, it was really informative. I was going to edit that post but it didn't let me, sorry. I understand stocking more now, thanks!
    "Why Not?"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Start slow, I would save the cardinals for last, they are the most sensitive. This also keeps stocking lower for a while while you get used to managing the system. Keep a good water change schedule, at least weekly. It usually works best to pick one day and stick with it (something like every Sunday you are going to do a water change). Think of it like what it is, a system. Not like a glass bax that your fish live inside of, but a whole system that needs to be balanced and will change over time.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    right. should it stay weekly? is it the bigger tanks get monthly, smaller=weekly?
    "Why Not?"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Any tank should get weekly water changes. This is the best way to keep water quality as high as possible. This means fish are healthier, they grow better, etc. It also means that when life happens and you miss one (or more) there is more room for error.

High quality food and water will allow you to prevent most health problems. When you have any issues at all do a water change. This means algae, stressed fish, a fish death, anything bad is treated with water changes (except the rare case where water changes are causing the problem, even then it is usually how they are done, not water changes in general).
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    10-20% each time? and do you use a gravel vac to remove the water (then add the chem yo the water and put it back in the tank)?
    "Why Not?"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I would do at least 25%. My tanks get 80% or so, but DO NOT do this, especially not right away. If done right there are no issues, but the larger the water change the more severe any problems are. So if you do 20% and the temp is a little off no big deal, 80% and all the fish could have problems.

When in doubt about temp go slightly cooler rather than slightly warmer. This is more natural for them (rain cools water) and can even trigger breeding.

I am on well water so no dechlorinator for me.

You are on the border line, but I think a water change system that hooks up to the sink is a better option for you than using buckets. Drain the tank, vacuum the gravel (or any debris on top of sand if you use sand), stop the water, add dechlorinator to the tank (when in doubt add a little extra), and fill.

Start with 10-20% and if you want or need to go larger do so at small steps, 5% more each time. Don't just jump into larger water changes.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what do you use to drain the water, and do you use the dechlorinator b4 or after you put the water in the tank?
    "Why Not?"