· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default What kind of pleco is best?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, i was scheming about a 26 gal tank with a RTBS and a handful of tiger barbs, I was also thinking of adding a pleco. I'm new to fish and don't know much about the pleco and their sizes. If someone has some idea of a good pleco for this tank that'd be great. The decor is probably going to consist of many hiding spots and fake plants.
    Thanks!
    "Why Not?"

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Bristlenose plecos are the best out there in my opinion and experience. I would add a piece of driftwood for any type of pleco, it is part of their diet and the best batural place for them to seek shelter.

Do you have algae in the tank?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Brian's Aquarium Care: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, would they get too big for the 26 gal. I dont have a tank at all. How do i make it an algae tank.
    Thanks!
    "Why Not?"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, I thought you said "Do you have an algae tank." I got a little confused haha.
    "Why Not?"

0 Not allowed!
    I would not worry too much about algae, it should come on it's. Extra lighting or a longer lighting period is about the best way IMO.

Your BN pleco will need other foods other than just algae. You should also feed fresh veggies and sinking waffers as a pleco needs more in their diet than algae.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom Great advice thanks - nraposa Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09 Always good answers - Lady Hobbs You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09 
    Thanks for your help again. - Lady Hobbs goodbye reptileguy....hello Fishguy - Lady Hobbs For always giving me great answere's on my PM's. Thanks for all the help! - cocoa_pleco Thanks For Your Help & Knowledge! :) - MeganL3985 For weakening me against axolotls!!!!!!! - Nick_Pavlovski 
    I am baking today and figured I'd share...Thanks for Always Helping when it's needed! - **AquaQueen** For recommending Fluvals and Stealths - Lady Hobbs Merry Christmas :) - MeganL3985 Merry Christmas! - RichBowyer Thanks for the hikari help - Billythefish 
    No Message - LORENZO Merry Christmas - Northernguy merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO merry christmas.. a fellow fishnutter. - LORENZO Merry X-Mas!! - The Red Severum 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have algae now?
    If so, what is your lighting period?

No, they will probably not outgrow a 26.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    good to know that they won't outgrow a 26, all the fish in my future tank seem to like cucumber and I'm planing on getting algae wafers. I don't have the tank but I was planing on getting this one (because it comes with a lot of stuff that I'm going to need): http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...uarium-kit.htm
    "Why Not?"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't get a kit, most of the equipment is cheapo stuff that will need to be replaced.

Do you have the tiger barbs or shark yet?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, i was gunna get those last. I don't even have my tank.
    "Why Not?"

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Okay. I wouldn't do the shark in that size tank. I also don't like tiger barbs except in a community of large fish, they can get nippy so I like to keep it safe. There are many barbs and other medium, active community fish.

You will get more gallons per dollar if you stick with a rectangular tank. Get a standard tank, 30long would be great, AquaClear 70 filter, heater (I would go with the black Aqueon since the Stealths are not safe apparently), go with a sand substrate (I recommend Estes' Ultra Reef, best substrate out there and won't mess with any chemistry). Paint the back. I would do black, but any dark color should work well.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist